Help with determining errors on Kater's Pendulum experiment?

In summary, the student is trying to do an exercise on the Kater's pendulum to calculate g. They have gotten down to g = 9.80658m +/- 0.00054 using equation 1, however they need to take into account a few more sources of error. These include: finite amplitude/width of pendulum, buoyancy of air, damping due to friction, imperfect knife edges, temperature variations during measurement, elastic variations of pendulum length, and flexibility of pendulum. They are expected to give a qualitative and quantitative explanation on how these could affect their calculation. The student attempted to look up the actual experiment done by Kater, but was unsuccessful. They tried to find a method to quantitatively take into
J.Sterling47

Homework Statement

Hey guys, so I'm doing the an exercise on the Kater's pendulum, to calculate g. I've gotten down my g calculation to g = 9.80658m +/- 0.00054 using equation 1 below. The errors taken into account are just on the kater period T and the distance between the two pivot points (L) using a vernier scale. However I need to take into account a few more sources of error from the following list:

Finite amplitude/width of pendulum
Buoyancy of air
Damping due to friction
Imperfect knife edges
Temperature variations during measurement
Elastic variations of pendulum length
Flexibility of pendulum
Altitude of measurements

So I'm expected to give a qualitative and quantitative explanation on how these could affect my calculation. I could not due these experimentally due to the time constraint and lack of equipment (except altitude), but somehow I'm still supposed to estimate how these variables will affect my calculation quantitatively. Some of these are negligible, but for the ones that aren't, how can I go about estimating the errors?

Homework Equations

1.) g = (2π)2(L/T2)

Actually this was the only equation given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried looking up the actual experiment done by Kater. According to the wiki page Kater made corrections for temperature, finite width, atmospheric pressure and altitude, but I couldn't find the methods he used. Either way, since I can't do these myself, I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a very small error to me. 0.000055 relative error.

About 50 μm if the length of the pendulum is 1 m and T is exact.
If I remember well, this length error is the biggest contribution.
We used an invar rod and a vernier and let four different people measure. Forgot the result :frown: (it was 44 years ago...)

If L is exact, 0.000055 relative error in g is 0.06 ms when T is 2 s.
T follows from the intersection of two curves where a small weight is placed in different postions with turns of a screw.
You can do a polynomial fit and calculate, but looking at the plot is usually just as good.

The amplitude correction can be found here

Friction has a very small influence. See here for ω, estimate γ from amplitude decrease over a large number of periods.

The others you wave away with estimates (length change from elasticty, air, etc.)

I always found it an interesting topic. Nowadays you can google around and even find that this device was once used (1824) to define the yard. Never knew that.

Ok thanks, although for the amplitude correction I do not have an angle as I did not measure it when I had the chance. That will still help me estimate it though!

As for altitude, the measurement was taken at about 115m above sea level, how could I take this into account? Would this and the temperature difference be waved away with estimates as well? Wiki specifically mentions those two (along with the amplitude) so I'm guessing they are more significant?

Google ! But it's an obvious dependence.

Likes J.Sterling47
Hey thanks for your help so far, I got almost everything down on the list except the fluid mechanics. I was reading this which gave three effects (this is for the clock pendulum but it seems pretty generic and would be the same for this case): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum#Atmospheric_pressure

It says air resistance can be neglected for the pendulum clock, and for the hyperphysics link, I don't have a way to quanitfy the amplitude decrease.
As for the first two:buoyancy and atm pressure, what would be a good way to estimate?

Isn't it so that the first has to do with the mass of the bob, and that doesn't appear in the expression for g ? Just the fact that the two T are equal makes the length of the equivalent mathematical pendulum equal to the distance between the knives ?

Idem the second for mass of pendulum ? And the reversing principle makes that go away ? (I'm not sure).

And the third one is in the damping. Estimate that amplitude decreases by a factor of 2 (or e) in, say, 20 or 30 minutes and see what the effect on ##\omega## is.

Same thing with amplitude correction: estimate. 2 cm? 4 cm ?

Any correction is better than none. Even if the error on the correction is big, it still brings the final value closer tot he true value.
And don't worry too much about the litterature value either (is at the same latitude as your location ?). The aim of the experiment is not to reproduce that litterature value, but to carry out an independent determination.

1. What is Kater's Pendulum experiment?

Kater's Pendulum experiment is a scientific experiment used to determine the value of gravity at a specific location. It involves suspending a pendulum from a knife edge and adjusting its length until it becomes isochronous, meaning it takes the same amount of time to complete one swing regardless of the angle it is released from.

2. What are the sources of error in Kater's Pendulum experiment?

Some of the sources of error in Kater's Pendulum experiment include air resistance, friction, imprecise measurements, and human error in timing the swings of the pendulum.

3. How can I minimize errors in Kater's Pendulum experiment?

To minimize errors in Kater's Pendulum experiment, it is important to use high-quality equipment, carefully measure the length of the pendulum, reduce air resistance by working in a vacuum or using a pendulum bob with a streamlined shape, and take multiple measurements to reduce the effect of human error.

4. What is the formula for calculating the value of gravity using Kater's Pendulum experiment?

The formula for calculating the value of gravity using Kater's Pendulum experiment is g = 4π²L/T², where g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the pendulum, and T is the time for one complete swing.

5. What are some potential applications of Kater's Pendulum experiment?

Kater's Pendulum experiment is used in various fields such as geology, physics, and astronomy to accurately measure the value of gravity at a specific location. It can also be used to calibrate other instruments that rely on the value of gravity, such as accelerometers and seismometers.