Help with electrically non-conductive fabric? (500V)

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for an electrically non-conductive fabric or material that can be spun into a fabric to hold back 400-500V. They are also open to the idea of a fabric coating. The person asks for thoughts and insights, and someone suggests searching for "electrically insulating fabrics." However, the original person is still looking for something highly pliable and asks for specific directions.
Mat B
Hi all,

My first post, so kind of excited! I'm looking for an electrically non-conductive fabric, or material that can be spun into a fabric. I'm looking to hold back 400-500V. Ideally thin, and highly pliable. A fabric coating may also work. Any and all thoughts and insights are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

Mat

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the search terms. But I'm really hoping for something highly pliable with the ability to resist 400-500V. Any specific direction would be great!

1. What is electrically non-conductive fabric?

Electrically non-conductive fabric is a type of fabric that does not allow electricity to pass through it. This means that it does not conduct electricity and can be used as a protective barrier against electric currents.

2. How is the non-conductivity of fabric measured?

The non-conductivity of fabric is measured in volts per meter (V/m). This measures the amount of voltage required for the electric current to pass through the fabric. In the case of electrically non-conductive fabric, it is typically measured up to 500V.

3. What are the applications of electrically non-conductive fabric?

Electrically non-conductive fabric has a variety of applications, including protective clothing for workers in industries where there is a risk of electric shock, insulation for wiring and electrical equipment, and as a barrier for sensitive electronic devices.

4. How is electrically non-conductive fabric made?

Electrically non-conductive fabric is typically made by incorporating insulating materials, such as rubber or plastic, into the fabric fibers during the manufacturing process. This creates a barrier that prevents electricity from passing through the fabric.

5. How can I test the non-conductivity of fabric?

To test the non-conductivity of fabric, you can use a multimeter or a conductivity meter to measure the electrical resistance of the fabric. This will determine if the fabric is able to block or resist the flow of electricity. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when testing the non-conductivity of fabric.