Help with integral from Apostol Calculus

In summary, the student is trying to solve an integral from Apostol "Calculus" Volume 1 Section 5.11, Question 33. The problem is that they are not able to get the integral to reduce to a known form. They are trying to use an existing reduction formula, but are struggling to get the integrand to match the required form.
emjay66
Help with integral from Apostol "Calculus"

Homework Statement

I seem to be stuck trying to prove the following integral from Apostol "Calculus" Volume 1 Section 5.11, Question 33.
[itex]
\int\frac{\cos^mx}{\sin^nx}dx = -\frac{\cos^{m+1}x}{(n-1)\sin^{n-1}x}-\frac{m-n+2}{n-1}\int\frac{\cos^mx}{\sin^{n-2}x} dx + C\,\,(n \neq 1)
[/itex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking so far has been that if I take
[itex]
I = \int\frac{\cos^mx}{\sin^nx}dx
[/itex]
I have been able to prove that
[itex]
I = -\frac{\cos^{m-1}x}{(n-1)\sin^{n-1}x} - \frac{m-1}{n-1}\int\frac{\cos^{m-2}x}{\sin^{n-2}x}\,dx+C\,\,\,\,\,(1)
[/itex]
and
[itex]
I = \frac{\cos^{m-1}x}{(m-n)\sin^{n-1}x} + \frac{m-1}{m-n}\int\frac{\cos^{m-2}x}{\sin^nx}\,dx+C\,\,\,\,\,(2)
[/itex]
but showing that
[itex]
I = -\frac{\cos^{m+1}x}{(n-1)\sin^{n-1}x}-\frac{m-n+2}{n-1}\int\frac{\cos^mx}{\sin^{n-2}x} dx + C
[/itex]
seems to be eluding me. I attempted to apply a similar technique what I used on [itex](1)[/itex] to get [itex](2)[/itex] to try to obtain this integral, but it didn't seem to work.
I can also show that
[itex]
I = -\frac{\cos^{m+1}x}{(m+1)\sin^{n+1}x} - \frac{n+1}{m+1}\int\frac{\cos^{m+2}x}{\sin^{n+2}x}\, dx + C
[/itex]
but there's obviously more to it from this perspective.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could write the integral as:

##\int cos^m(x)sin^{-n}(x) dx## and apply an existing reduction formula.

You need to use $1=\sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x)$

$$\int \! \frac{\cos^{m}(x)}{\sin^{n}(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x=
\int \! \frac{\cos^{m}(x)}{\sin^{n}(x)}(\sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x)) \, \mathrm{d}x=
\\
\int \! \frac{\cos^{m}(x)}{\sin^{n}(x)}\sin^2(x) \, \mathrm{d}x+
\int \! \frac{\cos^{m}(x)}{\sin^{n}(x)}\cos^2(x) \, \mathrm{d}x=
\\
\int \! \frac{\cos^{m}(x)}{\sin^{n-2}(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x+
\int \! \frac{\cos^{m+2}(x)}{\sin^n(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x$$

Integrate the bit with m+2 by parts to reach the desired form.

1. What is an integral in calculus?

An integral in calculus is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is essentially a way of calculating the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why is it important to understand integrals in calculus?

Integrals are important in calculus because they allow us to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object or the amount of work done in a process. They also serve as a fundamental tool for understanding many other concepts in mathematics and science.

3. Can you give an example of how to solve an integral from Apostol Calculus?

Sure, let's say we have the integral ∫x^2 dx, which represents the area under the curve y = x^2. We can solve this integral using the power rule, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1). Applying this rule, we get ∫x^2 dx = (x^(2+1))/(2+1) = x^3/3 + C, where C is a constant. This is the general solution to the integral.

4. How can I improve my understanding of integrals from Apostol Calculus?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of integrals from Apostol Calculus is to practice solving problems. You can also seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or study guides, to supplement your learning. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to discuss and solve problems together.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals from Apostol Calculus?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to watch out for when solving integrals from Apostol Calculus. These include forgetting to add the constant of integration, confusing the power rule with the chain rule, and incorrectly identifying the limits of integration. It's important to double check your work and be mindful of these potential errors.