Help with math course selection for a physics major

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person seeking guidance on what math courses to take as a physics major. They mention the required core components and a list of potential courses, including Complex Analysis and Differential Geometry. Another person recommends Complex Analysis and shares their personal experience with the course. The conversation takes place on a forum for students interested in math and physics.
dylanm
Hey everybody. I'm a long-time lurker who needs some help.

I've just recently decided to become a physics major, and now I have a feeling that my math background is inadequate. I want to get some sort of math degree and take courses that would be useful for physics, but I don't have a lot of guidance on what courses to take, beyond the required core components of Linear Algebra, Topology, Modern Algebra, Differential Equations, and Probability. I must still take at least four courses from this list (there's a list of undergrad courses as well, but those are pretty weak):

http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/courses/grad.shtml

Right now I am thinking of Complex Analysis and Differential Geometry. I am going to talk to an advisor soon, but I am interested in hearing what you guys feel is important. What would be nice to know before moving on the grad school?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dylanm said:
I must still take at least four courses from this list (there's a list of undergrad courses as well, but those are pretty weak):

http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/courses/grad.shtml

Hey, another Michigan guy! :smile: That's where I went to grad school. But it was over twenty years ago, and the physics department is a lot different now. Randall Laboratory is completely unrecognizable compared to when I was there.

Right now I am thinking of Complex Analysis and Differential Geometry.

I would definitely recommend Complex Analysis if you're planning to go on to grad school. After my first semester in grad school, in which we used conformal mapping in E&M, and integration in the complex plane in various courses, I signed up for Complex Analysis as one of my "cognate courses". I see they're still using Churchill's book! (somebody must have borrowed mine, I can't find it...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello there!

First of all, congratulations on deciding to become a physics major! It's a challenging but rewarding field.

In terms of math courses, it's great that you have already identified the core components that are required for physics. These are essential for understanding the mathematical concepts and techniques used in physics.

From the list you provided, it seems like Complex Analysis and Differential Geometry would be great choices for your elective courses. Complex Analysis is important for understanding complex numbers and their applications in physics, while Differential Geometry is useful for studying the geometric properties of space and time in physics.

In addition to these courses, I would also recommend taking courses in Vector Calculus and Partial Differential Equations. These are important tools for solving problems in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

Another useful course would be Mathematical Methods for Physics, which covers topics such as Fourier analysis, Green's functions, and special functions. These are commonly used in theoretical physics and can give you a deeper understanding of the mathematical foundations of the subject.

It's also a good idea to talk to your advisor about your specific interests and goals in physics. They can provide more tailored recommendations for math courses that would be most beneficial for your chosen field of study.

In terms of preparation for graduate school, it's important to have a strong foundation in math. So make sure to focus on understanding the concepts and not just memorizing formulas. It's also helpful to develop your problem-solving skills and practice applying math to real-world problems.

Best of luck with your math course selection and your future studies in physics!

Related to Help with math course selection for a physics major

1. What math courses are required for a physics major?

Most physics majors are required to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some universities may also require courses in multivariable calculus and/or complex analysis.

2. Can I take advanced math courses as electives for a physics major?

Yes, many universities offer advanced math courses such as abstract algebra, topology, and differential geometry as electives for physics majors. These courses can provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts that are relevant to physics.

3. Are there any math courses that are particularly important for a physics major?

Calculus is considered the foundation of physics, so it is important to have a strong understanding of that subject. Linear algebra and differential equations are also crucial for solving many physics problems and understanding advanced concepts.

4. What is the benefit of taking additional math courses as a physics major?

Taking additional math courses can help develop critical thinking skills and provide a more rigorous mathematical background. This can be beneficial for understanding advanced physics concepts and preparing for graduate studies in physics or related fields.

5. How should I choose which math courses to take for a physics major?

It is important to consult with an academic advisor or refer to your university's curriculum to determine which math courses are required for your specific physics program. You may also want to consider your interests and career goals when selecting elective math courses.