Help With Parts III & IV - Stuck on Double Angle Formula

In summary, the individual is struggling with parts iii and iv of a problem and is looking for help. They mention considering the double angle formula for tan but are unsure how to use it. For part iii, they are given a specific equation to solve and are asked to find the values of tan x and tan y that satisfy it. For part iv, they are instructed to solve by simultaneous equations and are reminded to express tan(x+y) in terms of tan x and tan y. The person suggests an easier method using the product of roots for a quadratic.
nokia8650
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/637/trigrb3.th.jpg

I was having trouble with parts iii and iv. I have done i and ii. Please can someone help me with iii and iv. I do not really know where to start for iii and hence iv. I was thinking about the double angle formula for tan, but didnt know what to do with it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part 3, you are given
[tex]\tan x \tan y = -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

What do you get when you solve by the quadratic formulae for t?. Let one value be tan x, the other be tan y. Do they satisfy the above?

For part 4, solve by simultaneous equations A and B. Clearly you'll need to express [itex]\tan (x+y) [/itex] in terms of just tan x and tan y.

There's an easier way to do this. Do you know how to find the product of roots for a quadratic? For a quadratic of the form [tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex], the sum of the roots is [tex]\frac{-b}{a}[/tex] and the product is [tex]\frac{c}{a}[/tex].

Just look at the roots of the quadratic and the product of tanx tany...

1. What are the double angle formulas?

The double angle formulas are trigonometric identities that express the trigonometric functions of angles that are twice as large as the original angle. There are three main double angle formulas: sin 2x = 2sin x cos x, cos 2x = cos^2 x - sin^2 x, and tan 2x = 2tan x / 1-tan^2 x.

2. How do I use the double angle formulas in problem solving?

The double angle formulas can be used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations, as well as to find the values of trigonometric functions for angles that are twice as large as the original angle. They are also helpful in proving other trigonometric identities.

3. What are some tips for remembering the double angle formulas?

One helpful tip is to memorize the first three letters of each formula: S2, C2, and T2, which correspond to sin 2x, cos 2x, and tan 2x. Another tip is to use the Pythagorean identities (sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1, 1 + tan^2 x = sec^2 x, and 1 + cot^2 x = csc^2 x) to derive the double angle formulas if needed.

4. Can I use the double angle formulas for any angle?

Yes, the double angle formulas can be used for any angle, whether it is given in degrees or radians. However, it is important to pay attention to the units and convert them if necessary to ensure accurate calculations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the double angle formulas?

One common mistake is to use the double angle formulas to find the values of trigonometric functions for angles that are not twice as large as the original angle. Make sure to check if the angle is in fact double the original angle before applying the formulas. Another mistake is to confuse the double angle formulas with the half angle formulas, which have similar but different identities.