How Can I Boost 55mV from a Peltier to 3V?

In summary, boosting 55mV from a Peltier to 3V can be achieved by using a boost converter, which is a type of electronic circuit that increases the voltage of a power source. This can be done by connecting the Peltier to the input of the boost converter and then adjusting the converter's output voltage to 3V. It is important to note that the efficiency of the boost converter should be considered in order to minimize energy loss and ensure the proper functioning of the Peltier.
John Rambosi
I have a Peltier cooler and with the temperatures that I am using on either side, I am getting ~55mv. These temps cannot be changed however and I need the right step up so I can be getting about 3V's out of it, any links and info will be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look for single solar cell stepup converters.
Here is an example. I don't know how available it is.
http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AP4460A

EDIT http://www.linear.com/product/LTC3108

Note though that if you increase the voltage in that way, the amperage will drop.

I assume this is for power generation?

Use 60 small coolers in series?

You might use something like the circuit meBigGuy presented with fewer elements, but even that needed 350mV input minimum.

All the voltage multipliers I know of use semiconductors which can't really switch at 55mV.

Of course you could treat the 55mV as a signal and amplify it, but that requires outside power.

The other challenge to this is that I can't just put multiple peltiers in series because of size and space concerns.

The linear tech device says : Operates from Inputs of 20mV

Not sure why I posted the link to the 350mv part. Maybe I grabbed the wrong one. I'll look again.

Note that for any stepup methodology, the total power (I * V) available remains constant (minus conversion losses)

Devices in series is nearly always better.

meBigGuy said:
The linear tech device says : Operates from Inputs of 20mV

Not sure why I posted the link to the 350mv part. Maybe I grabbed the wrong one. I'll look again.

Note that for any stepup methodology, the total power (I * V) available remains constant (minus conversion losses)

Devices in series is nearly always better.
Say I had to in series both putting out 55 mV what would the step up for that be (links?)

1. How does a Peltier circuit work?

A Peltier circuit is a type of thermoelectric cooling device that uses the Peltier effect to transfer heat from one side of the device to the other. It contains two dissimilar conductors joined together at two junctions. When an electric current is applied, heat is absorbed on one side and released on the other, creating a cooling effect.

2. What components are needed to build a Peltier circuit?

To build a Peltier circuit, you will need a Peltier module, a heat sink, a fan, a power source, and a temperature controller. The Peltier module is the main component that creates the cooling effect, while the heat sink and fan help dissipate the heat generated by the module. The power source supplies the electric current, and the temperature controller regulates the amount of current flowing through the module.

3. Can I use a Peltier circuit for both cooling and heating?

Yes, a Peltier circuit can be used for both cooling and heating. By reversing the direction of the electric current, the Peltier module can switch between producing a cooling effect and a heating effect. This makes it a versatile device that can be used for various applications, such as refrigeration or temperature control.

4. How do I control the temperature with a Peltier circuit?

To control the temperature with a Peltier circuit, you will need a temperature controller. This device measures the temperature and adjusts the amount of current flowing through the Peltier module accordingly. You can set the desired temperature on the controller, and it will maintain that temperature by turning the Peltier module on or off as needed.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a Peltier circuit?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a Peltier circuit. Since it requires a power source, make sure to follow proper electrical safety measures, such as using insulated wires and avoiding water or moisture near the circuit. The Peltier module can also become very hot or cold, so handle it with caution and avoid touching the heat sink while the circuit is in use.