Peltier cooler advice 200c to 60c is it possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a compact and efficient cooling solution for a heated surface, without the use of liquid systems or large motors. Suggestions of using a Peltier cooler combined with a heatsink and fan or a vortex tube are mentioned, with the latter requiring compressed gas to function. Other unconventional cooling methods such as laser, magnetic, and thermoacoustic are also suggested.
joedp
Hi all,
Does anyone on here have experience with Peltier coolers? I have a surface 3.5 by 1 inch that is heated to 200c when current is ran through it as part of a cycle. When the current is off i need to be able to cool the surface faster than leaving it to cool in ambient temperatures, preferably in 2 or 3 minutes. Ideally i need to get the surface down to around 60c or as close as possible. I cannot use any liquid systems as part of this and motors are too large as i have limited space. Would anyone know whether a Peltier cooler combined with a efficient heatsink and fan would work for this task?

I understand there are issues around the solder melting and my understanding is that there's only a 70c difference between surfaces on the peltier and even then that's not under load. any advice is appreciated

Best Regards,
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered using a vortex tube? They are quite small and can output air with temperature of around -30 deg C for cooling

Hi Sunfire, Thanks for the response. I am not too familiar with vortex tubes however what i do understand is they need compressed gas to work and unfortunately I do not have space available for the tube to work. please correct me if my understanding is wrong on this

Yes, they work with room-temperature compressed gas. How much space do you have available for your cooling device? Peltier cooler devices are small, but not capable to move much heat.

I have roughly 6 x 1 x 1 inchs for everything to fit. The rig needs to be small and compact to serve its function unfortunately. The cooler also needs to be able to be reused without disposables such as a CO2 canister and I do not know of a compressor which is small enough to fit this space and be cost effective.

its worth noting that I am only trying to take away residual heat from the surface. When the cooler is in effect it will be to take away the residual heat as the power to the heater is stopped.

6 x 1 x 1 can fit a vortex tube only... These tubes still need a compressed gas line hooked up plus the compressed air bottle which feeds into the tube. Unless there is a pressurized gas line nearby, as many industries have those. Also, the traditional vortex tube has "hot exit" and blows off hot air from one side (nowadays there are smaller versions of the vortex tube which do not have hot exit).

But anyways, the vortex tube can offer you more cooling capacity. If it doesn't fit your needs, then you could be back looking at Peltier coolers. I would look into catalogs and see how much heat can they move. All the best! -S.

thanks Sunfire, I am still looking into this. I am finding it hard to spec a peltier cooler to remove 140c from one surface to another. Any help would be appreciated

More unusual ways of cooling are laser, magnetic, thermoacoustic, evaporative cooling, (heat pipes?) or liquid N... These are documented on Wikipiedia.

1. Can a Peltier cooler reach a temperature difference of 140°C?

Yes, a Peltier cooler can reach a temperature difference of 140°C. Peltier coolers are capable of cooling objects down to temperatures lower than ambient temperature, and can also heat objects up to temperatures higher than ambient temperature. However, the maximum achievable temperature difference may vary depending on the specific Peltier cooler model and operating conditions.

2. What is the maximum temperature that a Peltier cooler can reach?

The maximum temperature that a Peltier cooler can reach is limited by the material properties of the Peltier elements, as well as the heat dissipation capabilities of the cooler. Generally, Peltier coolers can reach temperatures up to 200°C, but some models may have a lower maximum temperature limit.

3. How efficient is a Peltier cooler at cooling and heating?

The efficiency of a Peltier cooler depends on various factors such as the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides, the input voltage, and the heat dissipation capabilities. Generally, Peltier coolers have a coefficient of performance (COP) of around 0.5-0.7, meaning that for every watt of electrical energy input, the cooler can pump 0.5-0.7 watts of heat. However, the efficiency may vary depending on the specific operating conditions.

4. Can a Peltier cooler cool down to -60°C?

Yes, a Peltier cooler can cool down to -60°C. However, achieving such a low temperature may require special Peltier cooler models and/or additional cooling methods such as liquid cooling. Operating a Peltier cooler at such low temperatures may also affect its efficiency and performance.

5. Is it possible to use a Peltier cooler for both cooling and heating?

Yes, a Peltier cooler can be used for both cooling and heating. By simply reversing the direction of current flow, the Peltier cooler will switch between cooling and heating modes. This makes Peltier coolers versatile and widely used in various applications such as refrigeration, temperature control, and thermal cycling.