Help with picking out which point has the most negative derivative

In summary: I think that you should be able to estimate the input value of a function, based on the graph of its derivative, to within 0.1 or 0.2 units. That's a lot more reasonable.In summary, the participants of the conversation discussed a function represented by the equation y = f(x), with unknown characteristics. They speculated that the function could be a polynomial of degree 4 and made assumptions about its behavior based on the given graph. They also discussed how to estimate the input value of the function based on the graph of its derivative.
Mr Davis 97
Homework Statement
I am helping to tutor someone and we can't figure out the answer to the red part of this question. I thought that the answer would be x=3, but apparently, that's not right either. What do you guys think?
Relevant Equations
N/A
testtest.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Which kind of function is it? What do you think or know?

All we're given is that y = f(x). We don't know what kind of function it is. And it probably isn't ##-\infty## because that seems too complex for the nature of the question.

Mr Davis 97 said:
All we're given is that y = f(x). We don't know what kind of function it is. And it probably isn't ##-\infty## because that seems too complex for the nature of the question.
The function looks as a polynomial of degree ##4##. I don't think that such a speculation is far fetched or complex.

But I guess what I'm saying is that wouldn't this problem restrict itself to the interval ##[0.5, 5]## because that's all we're given?

Mr Davis 97 said:
But I guess what I'm saying is that wouldn't this problem restrict itself to the interval ##[0.5, 5]## because that's all we're given?
If we assume ##x>0.5## then the question is unanswerable due to a lack of information. It could be anywhre left of ##1## or around ##3 \pm 0.5##. We need an assumption that it goes with ##cx^4## and ##c>0##. Then ##3cx^3## will be the decisive term.

The image alone suggests ##0.5## or ##3.5##.

But you can always draw tangents and measure the angle.

Likes Mr Davis 97
I would have guessed more like 3.1 or 3.2 than 3.

Just to point out, the picture you have is inputting 1.5, not 3 as your guess, in case you just messed up and tried the wrong think.

I agree this question is terrible.

I also agree 0.5 looks like a reasonable guess.

Last edited:
Likes Mr Davis 97
The idea behind these type of problem is to remember that that the tangent to a point on a curve is equal to the derivative at that point. I am being a bit non mathy, so other more knowledgeable members please pardon me.
Anyways. With your initial choice of 1.5. If you draw a tangent line to the curve at the point 1.5, you get a horizontal line. Meaning the derivative is 0. Which is nonnegative.

As Fresh pointed, the values he gives gives what appears to give you the most "negative". In other words, what tangent to a point can you draw so that the angle is the steepest?This is what he means by measuring the angles ( I think, please correct me if I am wrong). Recall that the slope of a line is negative if it looks likes this \. The slope is positive if it looks like this / .

Oh. Maybe this also works. I have not tested, but we have to make an assumption of how the curve looks like, based on the graph given.

Notice that the roots of the function occur at x= 1, 2,3,4.

Hence, f(x) = (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)(x-4). Expand the the right side of f(x). Then take the derivative of f. Now, input the values that Fresh stated. I am assuming, that it will collaborate what he stated ( I have not worked it out myself).

Generally, one does not proceed this way. This was only possible because the roots of curve were numbers we can easily read off the graph...

You know for a fact that the function is not (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)(x-4) because it's not symmetric about 2.5

Office_Shredder said:
I would have guessed more like 3.1 or 3.2 than 3.
Same here. I think the goal of this problem is to get you to pick out by looking where the slope is the most negative. I don't think at all that the goal is to come up with a function, such as a polynomial, and take its derivative to fine where the slope is most negative.

OTOH, having you to pick out a number like 3.1 or 3.2 is not my idea of a well-designed problem.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It tells us how much a function is changing at that point.

2. How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. Alternatively, you can also use online tools or calculators to compute the derivative for you.

3. How can I determine which point has the most negative derivative?

To determine which point has the most negative derivative, you need to find the point where the slope of the function is the steepest in the negative direction. This can be done by graphing the function or by calculating the derivative at different points and comparing the values.

4. Why is it important to know which point has the most negative derivative?

Knowing which point has the most negative derivative can help us understand the behavior of the function. It can also help us identify the maximum or minimum points of the function, which are important in optimization problems.

5. Can the derivative at a point be negative?

Yes, the derivative at a point can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that point. It is also possible for the derivative to be zero or positive, indicating that the function is constant or increasing at that point, respectively.