Derivative of a Point of Max: Finding a & b Conditions

In summary, to find the conditions for a local maximum, the first derivative must be zero and the second derivative must be negative at that point. The second derivative represents the change in the slope of the original function and must be negative in order for the slope to be decreasing at the point of maximum. This is known as the second derivative test for finding local minima and maxima.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Given the function ##y=ax^3+bx^2+2x-1##, find which values must ##a## and ##b## assume in order to have a relative maximum for ##x=-1##.
Relevant Equations
none
The derivative of a point of maximum must be zero, and since
$$y'=3ax^2+2bx+2 \rightarrow y'(-1)=3a-2b+2 \rightarrow 3a-2b+2=0$$
we get the first condition for ##a## and ##b##.

Now, since we want ##x=-1## to be a local maximum, the derivative of the function must be positive when tending to the left of ##x=-1##, and negative when tending to the right of ##x=-1##.
I believe this is the second point that would allow me to get ##a## and ##b##... but I don't know how to "write it down" as a formal condition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What does the second derivative tell you?

Likes greg_rack
Yeah right, the second derivative must be negative at a local maximum!

PS: I take the opportunity to ask you why is that, since my textbook isn't really clear about it... I'm not sure about the geometrical/analytical "meaning" of the second derivative.

If the derivative vanishes at [itex]x_0[/itex], then locally the function looks like [tex]f(x_0) + \frac12{f''(x_0)} (x-x_0)^2.[/tex] By comparison to [itex]\pm x^2[/itex] you can see that this is a local maximum if [itex]f''(x_0) < 0[/itex] and a local minimum if [itex]f''(x_0) > 0[/itex].

Likes greg_rack
greg_rack said:
Exactly!

greg_rack said:
PS: I take the opportunity to ask you why is that, since my textbook isn't really clear about it... I'm not sure about the geometrical/analytical "meaning" of the second derivative.
You were heading right towards the answer in your thinking. The second derivative tells you how the first derivative (which is the slope of the original function) changes. Look up the "second derivative test" for finding local minima/maxima. Here's one explanation that might prove helpful: How to Use the Second Derivative Test

Likes greg_rack
greg_rack said:

It's the derivative of the derivative. And you want to know whether the slope as you pass through the extremum is increasing or decreasing.

Likes PhDeezNutz and greg_rack
Yeah I think you really already explained the test. You want the derivative to be positive to the left and negative to the right. That means it has to be decreasing. That means it's derivative must be negative (or potentially zero)

1. What is the derivative of a point of max?

The derivative of a point of max is the slope of the tangent line at the maximum point on a graph. It represents the rate of change of the function at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a point of max?

To find the derivative of a point of max, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the x-coordinate of the maximum point. Plug this value into the original function to find the y-coordinate.

3. What is the significance of finding a and b conditions in the derivative of a point of max?

The a and b conditions represent the values of x and y at the maximum point on the graph. They help to determine the equation of the tangent line and provide information about the behavior of the function at the maximum point.

4. Can you use the derivative of a point of max to find the maximum value of a function?

Yes, you can use the derivative of a point of max to find the maximum value of a function. The maximum value occurs at the point where the derivative is equal to zero, so by finding the derivative and solving for the x-coordinate, you can then plug it into the original function to find the maximum value.

5. Is it possible to have multiple points of max on a graph?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple points of max on a graph. This occurs when the function has multiple local maximum points. In this case, you would need to find the derivative at each potential maximum point and compare the values to determine the true maximum points.