Help with pump motor control circuit from ArduPilot Mega 2.5

In summary, the pump may not run when connected directly to the battery because there is a voltage drop across the transistor and the circuit may not be able to turn on the pump fully. The square wave source may be for PWM speed control, but if it is pulsing the transistor it may not be turning the pump on long enough each cycle.
mysticboon
Hi. I'm currently trying to build a circuit in order to control a small pump motor from an ardupilot mega 2.5 microcontroller. The pump is rated at 12 v and 3.6 w but I only need to give it about 9 v for operation. I'm using a basic supply of 9 v battery or 2 in series to give the power necessary. I've designed a basic bjt circuit that outputs the correct voltage I need in simulation and theory, but when I connect it to the microcontroller output pin, the ardu cannot sync enough voltage/current to give me the output I need to turn on the pump. I've tried buffering the input with an op amp and several different configurations on my bjt circuit. Can anyone please help me out with this?
This is a rough schematic of the circuit I'm currently using:
circuit_zps3e4c3cea.jpg

Thank you for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does the pump actually run when you connect it directly to the battery? 12v 3.6w is .3amps which is maybe a bit much for a small battery. There will be a voltage drop across the transistor so you won't get the whole 9v at the pump. Also you may not have enough gain with a simple transistor to switch fully on, you might need a darlington like the TIP111.

I presume the green resistor squiggle on your drawing is your pump, if so your circuit looks ok although I would use a reverse-bias diode for protection across any inductive load (a diode on the two pins of the green squiggle, pointing to the right). Make sure you have the ground at your negative battery terminal connected to the power supply ground of the micro-controller.

I'm also not sure what the square wave source that seems to be labeled 40Hz is for? If you are pulsing the transistor like that you are basically doing PWM speed control, and the pump motor may not be switched on long enough on each cycle. Try manually switching the transistor by disconnecting the left side of the red resistor and touching it to the battery + terminal. That should make it turn on and run the pump.

1. What is the purpose of a pump motor control circuit?

A pump motor control circuit is used to regulate the operation of a pump motor, which is responsible for pumping fluids or gases in a system. It allows for precise control of the motor's speed, direction, and torque, which is essential for efficient and safe operation.

2. How does the ArduPilot Mega 2.5 help with pump motor control?

The ArduPilot Mega 2.5 is a popular microcontroller board used for controlling various devices, including pump motors. It has built-in features and capabilities that make it easy to interface with the motor and send signals for controlling its operation.

3. Can the ArduPilot Mega 2.5 be used for both AC and DC pump motors?

Yes, the ArduPilot Mega 2.5 can be used for both AC and DC pump motors. It has the necessary circuitry and components to handle different types of motors and can be programmed to adjust the control signals accordingly.

4. Is it possible to customize the pump motor control circuit from ArduPilot Mega 2.5?

Yes, the pump motor control circuit from ArduPilot Mega 2.5 can be customized to fit specific needs. The board is open-source, which means the code can be modified, and additional hardware can be added to meet specific requirements.

5. Are there any troubleshooting tips for the pump motor control circuit from ArduPilot Mega 2.5?

If you are experiencing issues with the pump motor control circuit from ArduPilot Mega 2.5, it is recommended to check all connections and ensure they are secure. You can also check the code for any errors, and if needed, refer to the user manual for troubleshooting steps or seek assistance from the ArduPilot community.