Help with random variable linear estimation

In summary, the problem at hand is related to Wiener filtering and involves finding the Wiener filter for a system and its unconstrained case. The autocorrelations of the input and output signals are needed, which can be found using the expectation operator and cross-correlation.
ashah99
Homework Statement
Please see problem below
Relevant Equations
MSE = E((Xhat_k - X_k)^2)
Hi all, I have a problem on linear estimation that I would like help on. This is related to Wiener filtering.

Problem:
1669243732642.png
I attempted part (a), but not too sure on the answer. As for unconstrained case in part (b), I don't know how to find the autocorrelation function, I applied the definition, but how do I take it from here?

Here's the notes that I'm referencing:
https://mathhelpforum.com/attachments/1669130798979-png.45154/

A block diagram of what I think the scenario is:
https://mathhelpforum.com/attachments/1669130857779-png.45155/Attempt at solution:
https://mathhelpforum.com/attachments/1669130913277-png.45156/

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) The Wiener filter for this system is given by:H(z) = (Rxy(z))/(Rxx(z))where Rxx(z) and Rxy(z) are the autocorrelations of the input and output signals respectively. (b) For the unconstrained case, we can find the autocorrelation of the input signal as follows:Rxx(z) = E[x(n)x(n-k)] where E[.] is the expectation operator. To find Rxy(z), we must first compute the cross-correlation between the input and output signals, which is given by:Rxy(z) = E[x(n)y(n-k)]Using these two equations, we can then calculate the Wiener filter for the unconstrained case.

What is a random variable?

A random variable is a numerical quantity that can take on different values in a random manner. It is used to represent the possible outcomes of a statistical experiment.

What is linear estimation?

Linear estimation is a statistical method used to estimate the relationship between two variables by fitting a straight line to a set of data points. It is commonly used to make predictions or to identify patterns in data.

How is random variable linear estimation used in science?

Random variable linear estimation is used in science to analyze and interpret data, make predictions, and identify relationships between variables. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, and economics.

What are the assumptions of random variable linear estimation?

The main assumptions of random variable linear estimation are that the relationship between the variables is linear, the data is normally distributed, and there is no significant correlation between the errors in the data.

What are the limitations of random variable linear estimation?

Some limitations of random variable linear estimation include the assumption of a linear relationship between variables, the need for normally distributed data, and the potential for errors and outliers to affect the accuracy of the estimation.