Finding the distribution of random variables

In summary: Your distribution of Y adds up to more than 1, so we can see it must be wrong. Furthermore, it does not make sense that the probabilities of the X values are equal. Can the maximum being 1 (only two ways to get that) really be as likely as the maximum being 9 (more than two ways to get that)?Your distribution of Y adds up to more than 1, so we can see it must be wrong. Furthermore, it does not make sense that the probabilities of the X values are equal. Can the maximum being 1 (only two ways to get that) really be as likely as the maximum being 9 (more than two ways to get that)?
LokLe
Homework Statement
In a box of ten tickets numbered 0, 1, 2,...,9. You pick at random 2 tickets from this box. Let
X is the larger number in these two tickets, and Y be the smaller one.
(a) Find the distributions of X, Y and their joint distribution.
(b) Find the distribution of Z=X-Y.
(c) Compute E(X), Var(X), E(Z) and Var(Z).
Relevant Equations
None
Hi. I have found the answer to a and c (I don't know whether it is correct) but I do not know what I should find in question b.

capture.jpeg

Is my method correct and how should I solve part b?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I made a 10x10 table and counted the occurrence of each max and min. There is a simple pattern.
I don't get the same answers in (a). Can you explain what your logic is? I have trouble reading your work, but it looks like your probabilities add up to more than 1. [EDIT: It looks like I agree with the numbers at the top but not with the numbers in the box.]

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak
I also made a table with number Z in the cells.
220319.png

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and FactChecker
FactChecker said:
I made a 10x10 table and counted the occurrence of each max and min. There is a simple pattern.
I don't get the same answers in (a). Can you explain what your logic is? I have trouble reading your work, but it looks like your probabilities add up to more than 1.
Sorry I am really confused about this topic.
Capture.PNG
I tried to correct the mistakes by making a 10x10 table.

We have the same chance of getting a number from 0 to 9, so the distribution of (X=x) should be 1/10.
Since we have already picked a number for X, (Y=y) should be 1/(10-1) = 1/9?

anuttarasammyak said:
I also made a table with number Z in the cells.View attachment 298596
I understand part b now. Thank you!

LokLe said:
I tried to correct the mistakes by making a 10x10 table.

We have the same chance of getting a number from 0 to 9, so the distribution of (X=x) should be 1/10.
You pick up two tickets AT A TIME. Then you read them to call larger one Y and smaller one X.
All the possible cells in the table have an equal probability.

anuttarasammyak said:
You pick up two tickets AT A TIME. Then you read them to call larger one Y and smaller one X.
All the possible cells in the table have an equal probability.
Oh so X=x and Y=y have an equal distribution. I will correct it. Thank you.

LokLe said:
Oh so X=x and Y=y have an equal distribution. I will correct it. Thank you.
I would say all the cells (x,y) x<y are equal in probability or in distribution.

Likes LokLe
anuttarasammyak said:
Then you read them to call larger one Y and smaller one X.
You got that backwards.

Likes anuttarasammyak
LokLe said:
Sorry I am really confused about this topic.View attachment 298597I tried to correct the mistakes by making a 10x10 table.

Your distribution of Y adds up to more than 1, so we can see it must be wrong. Furthermore, it does not make sense that the probabilities of the X values are equal. Can the maximum being 1 (only two ways to get that) really be as likely as the maximum being 9 (more than two ways to get that)?
I would start with a 10x10 table of the two numbers drawn. In each cell, I would put the Y,X values and see the pattern. Each combination of two numbers has equal probability, so we can just count how many of the cells are in particular events like X=3 or Y=5. I think you had the right pattern in the top section of your original post, but it is hard to read and unexplained.
New OpenDocument Spreadsheet.jpg

Last edited:

What is a random variable?

A random variable is a numerical quantity that takes on different values based on the outcome of a random event. It is used to model uncertainty and randomness in a system or experiment.

What is the difference between a discrete and a continuous random variable?

A discrete random variable can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of values, while a continuous random variable can take on any value within a certain range. For example, the number of heads in 10 coin tosses is a discrete random variable, while the height of a person is a continuous random variable.

How do you find the distribution of a random variable?

To find the distribution of a random variable, you need to determine the probability of each possible outcome. This can be done by either using a probability distribution function or by creating a probability distribution table.

What is the purpose of finding the distribution of random variables?

The distribution of random variables allows us to understand the likelihood of different outcomes in a system or experiment. It also helps us make predictions and make decisions based on these probabilities.

Can the distribution of a random variable change?

Yes, the distribution of a random variable can change depending on the conditions or parameters of the system or experiment. For example, the distribution of the number of customers in a store may change depending on the time of day or the location of the store.