Help with Rigid Body Exercise: Determine Speed of B

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with rigid body and determining the speed of B. The exercise involves collars gliding along vertical and horizontal rods, and the goal is to find the angular velocity of the rod AB. The speaker initially tries to solve the problem using physics concepts, but another person suggests approaching it as a geometry problem. The conversation ends with a thank you and a clarification about the angles involved.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there, I'm starting with rigid body, and I'm having some trouble with it, so I'll need your help :D

I have this exercise now, but I will probably come with some others later.

The exercise says: The collars A and C glide along the vertical rods and B of the horizontal. If C has a downward speed of 0.2m/seg. when it reaches plotted to determine the angular velocity of the rod AB.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30305&stc=1&d=1291333079.gif

So, what I think I have to do at first, is to determine the speed of B. Is this right? so I've proceeded this way:

[tex]V_c=V_{cm}+\omega\times{R_{c/q}}[/tex]

[tex]R_{c/q}=25\cos45º \hat{i}+25\sin45º \hat{j}[/tex]

With this I would find the omega between B and C, and then the speed of B.
[tex]V_B=V_{cm}+\omega\times{R_{b/q}}[/tex]

What you say?

Bye there and thanks for your help :)

PD: Sorry for the pic. The vertical rods are larger :P

Attachments

• im.GIF
    im.GIF
    3.6 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Telemachus! :smile:

(a bit late, I know, but perhaps this will help)
Telemachus said:
So, what I think I have to do at first, is to determine the speed of B. Is this right? so I've proceeded this way*…

No, I wouldn't do it that way at all.

You're treating this as a physics problem, with centre of mass etc.

It isn't, it's purely a geometry problem …

call the two angles θ and φ, and find the geometric relation between them.

Then differentiate that to get dφ/dθ :smile:

Thanks tiny!

Related to Help with Rigid Body Exercise: Determine Speed of B

1. How do you determine the speed of object B in a rigid body exercise?

To determine the speed of object B in a rigid body exercise, you need to calculate the linear velocity of the object. This can be done by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took. You can also use the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

2. What is a rigid body exercise?

A rigid body exercise is a type of physical activity that involves moving and controlling your body as a whole, rather than focusing on individual muscles. It typically involves movements that require the use of multiple muscle groups and joints, such as push-ups, squats, and planks.

3. How is the speed of object B important in a rigid body exercise?

The speed of object B is important in a rigid body exercise as it determines the intensity and difficulty of the exercise. A higher speed requires more force and control to maintain, resulting in a more challenging workout. It also affects the effectiveness of the exercise in building strength and improving cardiovascular fitness.

4. Can the speed of object B change during a rigid body exercise?

Yes, the speed of object B can change during a rigid body exercise. This can happen due to external factors such as the use of weights or resistance bands, or internal factors such as fatigue or adjustments in technique. It is important to monitor and adjust the speed of object B to ensure proper form and prevent injury.

5. How can I improve the speed of object B in a rigid body exercise?

To improve the speed of object B in a rigid body exercise, you can focus on increasing your strength and power through resistance training and plyometric exercises. You can also work on your technique and form to optimize your movements and reduce any unnecessary resistance. Consistency and progressive overload are key in improving speed in a rigid body exercise.