Moment of inertia rigid body problem

In summary, the Homework Statement discusses a rigid body that falls from rest. The angular speed is found when the plane of the body is vertical. The moment of inertia is found to be 1/3mL^2+mL^2 for the two rods on the RHS of the "H."
i_hate_math said:
Yeah because its a rigid body of many particles. And adding them up, I-total=1/3mL^2+0+mL^2=4/3mL^2
In post #33 you came to understand that the moment of inertia of a rod about an axis parallel to it, distance L away, is mL2. Why have you gone back to 1/3mL^2+mL^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
because I think the other rod that's perpendicular to the rotation axis also needs to be taken into account for the total MoI

i_hate_math said:
because I think the other rod that's perpendicular to the rotation axis also needs to be taken into account for the total MoI
Oh, ok, I didn't realize you were including that yet. In that case, yes, that is indeed the total MoI of the H shape about the given axis.

haruspex said:
Oh, ok, I didn't realize you were including that yet. In that case, yes, that is indeed the total MoI of the H shape about the given axis.
Thanks a lot mate for all the help and detailed explanations. I got the correct answer 6.45 eventually!