Help with understanding BVP for the Heat equation (PDE)?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the steady state solution for a boundary value problem, with a given boundary condition and initial condition. The solution involves finding two functions, Φ(x) and G(t), and setting them equal to the right hand side of the equation. The issue of which function to make equal to the right hand side is brought up, but it is noted that it does not matter as they will be multiplied together. The use of separation of variables is questioned, but it is pointed out that the stationary solution does not depend on time.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

Find the steady state (equilibrium) solution for the following boundary value problem:
∂u/∂t = (1/2)∂2u/∂x2
Boundary condition:
u(0,t) = 0 and u(1,t) = -1
Initial condition:
u(x,0) = 0

Homework Equations

u(x,t) = Φ(x)G(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the solution for Φ(x) and G(t) but when implementing the boundary condition u(1,t) = -1 I have that u(1,t) = Φ(1)G(t)=-1. My question is whether or not I should assume that G(t) = -1 and not Φ(1). The reason I ask is because the steady state solution should not depend on time, therefore G(t) needs to be a constant. However I don't trust this assumption and that leads me to a more general question which is: How am I supposed to know which function to make equal to the right hand side of the equation? I mean in any case where you can split a function (for example) u(x,t) = Φ(x)G(t) and have a boundary condition. In other words, if this problem didn't specify that the solution should be a steady state solution then what would you do when trying to figure out which function is equal to the right hand side?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani11 said:
How am I supposed to know which function to make equal to the right hand side of the equation?
It doesn't matter. You are anyway going to multiply them together to get the result. That being said, why do you think separation of variables is going to work here? There is no obvious Sturm-Liouville operator with homogeneous boundary condition that you find the eigenfunctions of. Furthermore, you are only looking for the stationary solution. The stationary solution by definition does not depend on time.

Solved, thank you.

Last edited:

1. What is the Heat Equation?

The Heat Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the diffusion of heat in a given region over time. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model heat transfer and can be solved analytically or numerically.

2. What is a Boundary Value Problem (BVP)?

A Boundary Value Problem for the Heat Equation refers to finding a solution to the equation that satisfies specified conditions at the boundaries of the region. These conditions can be either Dirichlet boundary conditions, which specify the value of the solution at the boundaries, or Neumann boundary conditions, which specify the derivative of the solution at the boundaries.

3. What is the significance of understanding BVP for the Heat Equation?

Understanding BVP for the Heat Equation is crucial in solving problems related to heat transfer, such as in designing buildings or predicting the temperature distribution in a given object. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and ecology.

4. How do you solve a BVP for the Heat Equation?

The BVP for the Heat Equation can be solved using various methods, including the separation of variables method, the Laplace transform method, or numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. The exact method used will depend on the specific problem and its boundary conditions.

5. What are the challenges in understanding BVP for the Heat Equation?

One of the main challenges in understanding BVP for the Heat Equation is the complexity of the equation itself, as it involves partial derivatives and can have non-uniform boundary conditions. Additionally, the solution to the equation may not always have a closed-form solution, requiring the use of numerical methods. It also requires a solid understanding of calculus and differential equations.