Help with using non-standard Windows fonts in Latex

In summary, to use custom fonts in Latex, you need to make sure the font is installed on your computer, include the font package in your document preamble, and specify the font using the \fontfamily{font}\selectfont command. The Latex Community forum is a great resource for any other questions or concerns.
rsr_life
(Not sure if this is the right forum, but if the admins find a more appropriate one, please do move it over).

Alright, fellow Scientists and Engineers.

I have a Latex question here for you.

I use TexWorks and Lyx when I want to work on Latex, the former when I have .tex templates that Lyx won't import well; the latter when I can use Lyx's templates.

Anyway, I have some beautiful Adobe fonts that I discovered in Adobe Reader's Resources folder (I use Win 7) - Minion Pro, etc, that I'd like to use in my latex documents. Try as I might, I simply can't seem to find a straightforward way to use those fonts in my tex documents, or any other Windows fonts.

I don't fully comprehend the range of technicalities involved with using fonts - every webpage that is potentially helpful seems to feel the need to explain the basics of fonts in general - tl;dr them.

Again, I use TexWorks, which accepts standard Latex commands. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, is someone aware of a popular latex forum like Physicsforum?

Danke!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! I am a fellow scientist and I have some experience with using fonts in Latex. Using custom fonts in Latex can be a bit tricky, but I'll try my best to explain it.

First of all, you need to make sure that the font you want to use is installed on your computer. If it is not, you can download and install it from a trusted source. Once the font is installed, you can use it in your Latex document.

To use a custom font in Latex, you first need to include the font package in your document preamble. For example, if you want to use the Minion Pro font, you can add the following line to your preamble:

\usepackage{MinionPro}

Next, you need to specify the font you want to use in your document. You can do this by using the command \fontfamily{MinionPro}\selectfont. This will change the font for the rest of your document.

If you want to change the font for a specific section or text, you can enclose it in curly braces and use the command \fontfamily{MinionPro}\selectfont. For example:

{\fontfamily{MinionPro}\selectfont This text will be in Minion Pro font.}

I hope this helps! As for a popular Latex forum, I highly recommend the Latex Community forum. It has a wealth of information and a helpful community of Latex users.

Best of luck with your Latex documents!

What are non-standard Windows fonts?

Non-standard Windows fonts are fonts that are not included in the default set of fonts that come with the Windows operating system. They can be downloaded and installed separately, and are often used for specific design purposes.

Can non-standard Windows fonts be used in Latex?

Yes, non-standard Windows fonts can be used in Latex. However, some extra steps may be required to properly incorporate them into your document.

How do I use non-standard Windows fonts in Latex?

To use non-standard Windows fonts in Latex, you first need to install the font on your computer. Then, you need to specify the font in your Latex document using the fontspec package. You can also use the XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX engines for more flexibility in using non-standard fonts.

Why are my non-standard Windows fonts not showing up in my Latex document?

If your non-standard Windows fonts are not showing up in your Latex document, it could be due to a few reasons. Make sure the font is properly installed on your computer and that you have specified it correctly in your Latex document. It is also possible that the font is not compatible with Latex or that you are using the wrong engine.

Are there any limitations to using non-standard Windows fonts in Latex?

There are some limitations to using non-standard Windows fonts in Latex. For example, some fonts may not be fully compatible with Latex and may not render correctly. You may also have to manually adjust font sizes and line spacing to ensure the document looks consistent. Additionally, not all Latex packages may support the use of non-standard fonts.