Rewriting a given action via integration by parts

In summary: Let's see if you can take it from here :smile:In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a particular equation can be simplified using integration by parts. The participants are working with a homogeneous scalar field and must find the term delta phi based on a change of variables. They progress by simplifying the equation using integration by parts and the equation of motion.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Given the action

\begin{equation*}
S=\int d^4 x \left[ \frac{a^2}{2}\left(\dot \phi^2 -(\nabla \phi)^2\right)-a^4V(\phi) \right]
\end{equation*}

Where the dot denotes differentiation with respect to the conformal time ##\eta##.

Show that by introducing small fluctuations to the scalar field ##\phi##.

\begin{equation*}
\phi = \phi_0 (\eta) + \delta \phi (\eta, \vec x)
\end{equation*}

as well as defining ##\chi := a\delta \phi##, the action becomes

\begin{equation*}

S = S[\phi_0] + \frac{1}{2} \int d^4 x \left( \dot \chi^2 - (\nabla \chi)^2 + \frac{\ddot a}{a} \chi^2 \right)

\end{equation*}
Relevant Equations
N/A
I simply plugged \phi = \phi_0 (\eta) + \delta \phi (\eta, \vec x) into the given action to get

\begin{align}
S &= \int d^4 x \left[ \frac{a^2}{2}\left(\dot \phi^2 -(\nabla \phi)^2\right)-a^4V(\phi) \right] \nonumber \\
&= \int d^4 x \left[ \frac{a^2}{2}\left(\dot \phi_0^2 + (\delta \dot \phi)^2 + 2\dot \phi_0 \delta \dot \phi- (\nabla (\delta \phi))^2 \right)-a^4V(\phi_0) -a^4V(\delta \phi) \right] \\
&= \int d^4 x \left[ \underbrace{\frac{a^2}{2} \dot \phi_0^2 + a^2\dot \phi_0 \delta \dot \phi -a^4V(\phi_0)}_{S[\phi_0]} + \frac{a^2}{2}(\delta \dot \phi)^2 - \frac{a^2}{2}(\nabla (\delta \phi))^2 -a^4V(\delta \phi) \right]
\end{align}
However, I am stuck in how to show that

\begin{equation*}
\int d^4 x \left[ \frac{a^2}{2}(\delta \dot \phi)^2 - \frac{a^2}{2}(\nabla (\delta \phi))^2 -a^4V(\delta \phi) \right] = \frac{1}{2} \int d^4 x \left( \dot \chi^2 - (\nabla \chi)^2 + \frac{\ddot a}{a} \chi^2 \right)
\end{equation*}

I am convinced we'll have to use integration by parts and let the surface term vanish but I do not see how to do so...

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you :biggrin:

This doubt emerged while studying the lecture notes of my course. I attach the relevant pages

LecNotes0.png

LecNotes1.png

LecNotes2.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey JD, did you ever figure out how to get the answer? I was just trying to do it now but got stuck as well. So far I'd just written ##V(\phi) = V(\phi_0) + \delta \phi V'(\phi_0)## and then\begin{align*}
S &= S[\phi_0] + \int d^4 x \left[ \frac{a^2}{2} \left( 2\dot{\phi}_0 \delta \dot{\phi} + \delta \dot{\phi}^2 -2 \nabla \phi_0 \cdot \nabla \delta \phi - (\nabla \delta \phi)^2 \right) - a^4 \delta \phi V'(\phi_0)\right] \\

&= S[\phi_0] + \int d^4 x [ a^2 \dot{\phi}_0 \left( \frac{\dot{\chi}}{a} - \frac{\dot{a} \chi}{a^2} \right) + \frac{a^2}{2} \left(\frac{\dot{\chi}^2}{a^2} - \frac{2\dot{a} \dot{\chi} \chi}{a^3} + \frac{\dot{a}^2 \chi^2}{a^4} \right) -a \nabla \phi_0 \cdot \nabla \chi \\

&\quad \quad \quad \quad \quad - \frac{1}{2} (\nabla \chi)^2 -a^4 \delta \phi V'(\phi_0)] \\

&= S[\phi_0] + \frac{1}{2} d^4 x \left[ \dot{\chi}^2 - (\nabla \chi)^2 + \underbrace{2a \dot{\phi}_0 \dot{\chi} + 2a \chi \ddot{\phi}_0 - \frac{2\dot{a} \dot{\chi} \chi}{a} + \frac{\dot{a}^2 \chi^2}{a^2} - 2a \nabla \phi_0 \cdot \nabla \chi} \right]
\end{align*}
in the last line I used that ##-a^2 V'(\phi_0) = \ddot{\phi}_0 + \frac{2\dot{a}}{a} \dot{\phi}_0##. But I'm at a loss about how to proceed :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JD_PM and Delta2
Hey James! Nice to see you taking the problem :biggrin:

etotheipi said:
\begin{align*}
S &= S[\phi_0] + \int d^4 x \left[ \frac{a^2}{2} \left( 2\dot{\phi}_0 \delta \dot{\phi} + \delta \dot{\phi}^2 -2 \nabla \phi_0 \cdot \nabla \delta \phi - (\nabla \delta \phi)^2 \right) - a^4 \delta \phi V'(\phi_0)\right] \\
\end{align*}

Notice that we are dealing with a homogeneous scalar field i.e. ##\partial_i \phi = 0## so the term ##2 \nabla \phi_0 \cdot \nabla \delta \phi## drops. Hence you'll agree with me that we start off by

\begin{equation*}
S=\int d^4 x \left( \underbrace{\frac{a^2}{2} \dot \phi_0^2 - a^4V(\phi_0)}_{= S[\phi_0]} + \frac{a^2}{2}(\delta \dot \phi)^2 - \frac{a^2}{2}(\nabla \delta \phi)^2 +a^2\dot \phi_0 \delta \dot \phi - a^4 \delta \phi V'(\phi_0) \right)
\end{equation*}

To advance, you will need to work out the term ##\delta \phi## based on change of variables (39) in the attached pic. If it goes smooth you will find

\begin{align*}
S &= S[\phi_0] \nonumber \\
&+ \int d^4 \vec x \left[\frac{1}{2} \left( \dot \chi^2 - 2\frac{\dot a \chi \dot \chi}{a} + \frac{\dot a^2}{a^2} \chi^2 \right) -\frac 1 2 (\nabla \chi)^2 + a^2 \dot \phi_0 \delta \dot \phi - a^4\delta \phi V'(\phi_0)\right]
\end{align*}

Once we get here we will carry on :smile:

Likes etotheipi
Yes these results are in agreement if ##2 \nabla \phi_0 \cdot \nabla \delta \phi = 0##, because if you substitute this term\begin{align*}
a^2 \dot{\phi}_0 \delta \dot{\phi} - a^4 \delta \phi V'(\phi) &= a \dot{\chi} \dot{\phi}_0 - \dot{a} \dot{\phi}_0 \chi + \left[ a^2 \delta \phi \ddot{\phi}_0 + 2a \dot{a} \dot{\phi}_0 \delta \phi \right] \\

&= a \dot{\chi} \dot{\phi}_0 - \dot{a} \dot{\phi}_0 \chi + \left[ a \chi \ddot{\phi}_0 + \dot{a} \dot{\phi}_0 \chi \right] \\

&= a \dot{\chi} \dot{\phi}_0 + a \chi \ddot{\phi}_0

\end{align*}in your final expression, then you end up with my expression at the end of #2. :smile:

Likes JD_PM
Good! At this point we notice that we already have 2 of the 3 terms in the desired final form. All we need to do is simplify.

Try to integrate by parts (IBP¨) the ##2\frac{\dot a \chi \dot \chi}{a}## term. Your action should simplify slightly. Then make use of the E.O.M. (37). Finally you will have to use IBP once again to get the final simplified action :)

Likes etotheipi
Write\begin{align*}

-\int d^3 x d\eta \frac{2\dot{a}\chi \dot{\chi}}{a} &= - \int d^3 x d\eta \frac{\dot{a}}{a} \frac{d}{d\eta} \left( \chi^2 \right) \\

&= -\int d^3 x d\eta \left[ \frac{d}{d\eta} \left( \frac{\dot{a}}{a} \chi^2 \right) - \chi^2 \left( \frac{a\ddot{a} - \dot{a}^2}{a^2} \right) \right] \\

&= \phantom{-} \int d^3 x d\eta \left( \frac{\ddot{a}}{a} \chi^2 - \frac{\dot{a}^2}{a^2} \chi^2 \right)

\end{align*}where the boundary term was thrown away. The expression becomes\begin{align*}

S = S[\phi_0] + \frac{1}{2} \int d^4 x \left[ \dot \chi^2 + \frac{\ddot a}{a} \chi^2 -(\nabla \chi)^2 + 2a^2 \dot \phi_0 \delta \dot \phi - 2a^4\delta \phi V'(\phi_0)\right]

\end{align*}Now use equation ##(37)## to re-write ##2a^2 \ddot{\phi}_0 \delta \phi + 4a \dot{a} \dot{\phi}_0 \delta \phi = -2a^4 \delta \phi V'(\phi_0)##, such that\begin{align*}
\int d^4 x \left[ 2a^2 \dot \phi_0 \delta \dot \phi - 2a^4\delta \phi V'(\phi_0)\right] &= \int d^4 x \left[ 2a^2 \dot \phi_0 \delta \dot \phi +2a^2 \ddot{\phi}_0 \delta \phi + 4a \dot{a} \dot{\phi}_0 \delta \phi \right] \\

&= \int d^3 x d\eta \left[ \frac{d}{d\eta} \left( 2a^2 \dot{\phi}_0 \delta \phi \right)\right] \\

&=0

\end{align*}again neglecting the boundary term. Hence\begin{align*}
S = S[\phi_0] + \frac{1}{2} \int d^4 x \left[ \dot \chi^2 + \frac{\ddot a}{a} \chi^2 -(\nabla \chi)^2 \right]
\end{align*}:smile:

Likes JD_PM

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and can be used to simplify complicated integrals.

2. When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, one of which is easier to integrate than the other. It is also useful for solving integrals involving logarithmic, exponential, or trigonometric functions.

3. How do you rewrite an action using integration by parts?

To rewrite an action using integration by parts, you first need to identify the two functions in the integral. Then, use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions, and du and dv are their respective differentials. Apply this formula to the integral until it becomes simpler to solve.

4. What are the steps for using integration by parts?

The steps for using integration by parts are as follows:

1. Identify the two functions in the integral.
  2. Determine which function will be u and which will be dv.
  3. Find the differentials du and dv of the two functions.
  4. Apply the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to the integral.
  5. Simplify the resulting integral and solve for the original integral.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions to using integration by parts?

Yes, there are some special cases where integration by parts may not be the most efficient method for solving an integral. These include integrals with trigonometric functions that can be solved using trigonometric identities, or integrals that can be solved using substitution. It is important to consider all possible methods before deciding on using integration by parts.