HELPHow is this possible? The hanging mass is lighter then the cart

• Thread starter 13physicsdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart Mass
In summary, the hanging mass is lighter then the cart, so the cart does not accelerate downwards at 9.8 m/s2.
13physicsdude
HELPHow is this possible?!? The hanging mass is lighter then the cart!

Homework Statement

The cart in Figure 4 has a mass of 2.3 kg and is attached to a 1.7 kg object. Calculate the acceleration of the cart given the following assumptions.

A) The force of friction is negligible

B) The frictional force acting on the wheels of the cart has a magnitude of 0.6 N.

C) Explain why the hanging mass does not accelerate downward at 9.8 m/s2

**btw Figure 4 simply shows a cart with wheels sitting on a horizontal surface with a string attached to the front, running from the front of the cart through a single pulley system at the corner of the table with a hanging mass attached to the end of the string, hanging off the table.

The Attempt at a Solution

A)

m1:
Fnet=T
ma=T
T=2.3a

m2:
Fg=mg
mg-t=ma
(1.7)(9.8)-T=1.7a

m1+m2:
16.66-2.3a=1.7a
16.66=4a
∴ a=4.165 m/s2

B)

m1:
T-Ff=ma
T-0.6=2.3a

m2:
Fg-t=ma
1.7g-t=1.7a

m1+m2:
1.7g-0.6=4a
16.66-0.6=4a
a=16.66-0.6/4
a=4.015 m/s2

C)

The reason the hanging mass does not accelerate downwards at 9.8 m/s2 is simply because gravity is not the only force acting on the hanging object. Tension of the rope is also a force acting on the object and is counteracting the effect of gravity just not at the same magnitude, that's why it still accelerates downward just not at 9.8 m/s2

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking of the forum. From the title, you seem to be surprised that the cart moves at all. Is that the case?
I really don't like the wording in B. Wheels are designed to roll, not slide. Ignoring the moment of inertia of the wheels (since you have no data on that), the friction between the wheels and the table is irrelevant. So I assume this is referring to axle friction, but it should make that clear.
Your answer for C is ok, but perhaps they are looking for something which takes in the whole set-up rather than concentrating on the hanging mass. Maybe "the gravitational force on the hanging mass has to accelerate more than just its own mass".

im asking if my answer is correct... and in the title I'm expressing that the question doesn't seem to make much sense

13physicsdude said:
im asking if my answer is correct... and in the title I'm expressing that the question doesn't seem to make much sense
Your answers look fine. Why do you think the question doesn't make sense?

. Additionally, the hanging mass is also connected to the cart, so the acceleration of the cart affects the acceleration of the hanging mass as well. Therefore, the acceleration of the hanging mass is dependent on the acceleration of the cart and the tension in the rope.

1. How is it possible for the hanging mass to be lighter than the cart?

This may seem counterintuitive, but it is possible due to the principles of force and acceleration. The hanging mass creates a downward force on the cart, while the cart creates an equal and opposite force on the hanging mass. This results in a net force of zero on the cart, allowing it to move with a constant speed even with the hanging mass attached.

2. Why doesn't the cart move faster with the hanging mass attached?

Again, this is due to the principles of force and acceleration. The added mass creates a greater force, but it also requires a greater force to accelerate it. Since the net force on the cart remains zero, it will continue to move at a constant speed.

3. Can the hanging mass ever be heavier than the cart?

In theory, yes. However, in order for the cart to move at a constant speed, the hanging mass would need to be significantly heavier to counteract the force of friction and any other resistive forces. Additionally, the cart would need to have a strong and powerful enough motor to overcome the added weight.

4. What factors affect the speed of the cart with the hanging mass?

The speed of the cart will be affected by the mass of the cart and the hanging mass, the strength of the motor, the force of friction, and any other resistive forces present. The speed will also depend on the initial velocity of the cart and how long the experiment is allowed to run.

5. Is this experiment applicable to real-world scenarios?

Yes, this experiment demonstrates the principles of balanced forces and can be applied to real-world scenarios such as pulley systems, elevators, and even amusement park rides. Understanding these principles can help engineers and scientists design and analyze various systems and machines.