Helping out with pulley diameter calculation

In summary: Or a series of pulleys with a smaller reduction in each. If my maths is right three pairs with a reduction of 3, 3 and 2.5 gets you 22.5:1.I would probably look at a 10:1 or 25:1 gear reduction.. with the 10:1 reduction you'd need a 2.25:1 belt drive (2" to 4.5" or so), and with the 25:1 the driven pulley would have to be just a bit smaller than the motor pulley..
Giannakoulis
Hey guys.. Sorry for my english, i'am only 16 and it's not my parent language. I need help about a problem on mechanical engineering, and i really appreciated if you can help me out. I assume that I've got a moter currents which gives me out 220-230 Volt trend, and has 1800 bends per minute. Now i want to know how much diameter should have a pulley to put it on another machine. I want this machine to give 80 bends per minute. And what pulley should i put in the original current moter to suit them. The starting transmission from the moter will be done with a belt.. For more details or clarifications, just ask me..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Giannakoulis, :welcome:

Basically you have ##n_1 d_1 = n_2 d_2## (because the belt speed is the same on both pulleys). In this expression
##n_1 = ## motor rpm (revolutions per minute)
##d_1 = ## pulley diameter on motor axis
##d_2 = ## pulley diameter on driven axis
##n_2 = ## driven axis rpm​

In your case you have ##n_1/n_2 = 22.5## so you want ##\ \ \ \ \ ## pulley diameter on driven axis = 22.5 times pulley diameter on motor axis

Likes Giannakoulis
thanks a lot!

BvU said:
In your case you have n1/n2=22.5n1/n2=22.5n_1/n_2 = 22.5 so you want pulley diameter on driven axis = 22.5 times pulley diameter on motor axis

That is a large ratio. It is possible that the belt will slip on the small pulley. The maximum power you can transmit is limited by friction and the "contact angle" (how far around the pulley the belt wraps). You might need to use a toothed belt?

CWatters said:
That is a large ratio. It is possible that the belt will slip on the small pulley. The maximum power you can transmit is limited by friction and the "contact angle" (how far around the pulley the belt wraps). You might need to use a toothed belt?
Or a series of pulleys with a smaller reduction in each. If my maths is right three pairs with a reduction of 3, 3 and 2.5 gets you 22.5:1.

I would probably look at a 10:1 or 25:1 gear reduction.. with the 10:1 reduction you'd need a 2.25:1 belt drive (2" to 4.5" or so), and with the 25:1 the driven pulley would have to be just a bit smaller than the motor pulley.. If you use a chain drive from the gear to the machine, you can adjust the ratio there as well (may be easier and more accurate than changing pulley sizes)

1. What is a pulley diameter calculation?

A pulley diameter calculation is a method used to determine the appropriate diameter for a pulley in a mechanical system. This calculation is important because it ensures that the pulley is the correct size for the intended use and can effectively transfer power and motion.

2. Why is it important to calculate the pulley diameter?

Calculating the pulley diameter is important because it ensures that the pulley can handle the load and torque placed on it without slipping or breaking. It also helps to determine the speed and power of the system.

3. What factors are involved in pulley diameter calculation?

There are several factors that are involved in pulley diameter calculation, including the torque and load requirements of the system, the type of belt or rope being used, and the desired speed and power of the system.

4. How do I calculate the pulley diameter?

The pulley diameter can be calculated using a formula that takes into account the factors mentioned above. The specific formula may vary depending on the type of system and components being used. It is best to consult a mechanical engineering reference or use an online calculator for accurate results.

5. Can I use a standard pulley size or do I need a custom size?

In some cases, a standard pulley size may be suitable for your needs. However, it is important to carefully consider the factors involved in pulley diameter calculation to ensure the pulley can effectively handle the load and torque requirements. If a standard size is not appropriate, a custom size can be ordered or fabricated.