Henri poincare got a 35 on an iq test?

In summary: I understand the context now.In summary, the conversation discusses the claim that French mathematician Henri Poincare scored a 35 on an IQ test. However, it is pointed out that this claim is likely misinterpreted out of context, as the test used by Binet measured mental age rather than the modern standard IQ scale. Additionally, it is mentioned that Binet's testing method was mainly used to measure the development of young children and may not be applicable to adults.
Mathguy15
I read here http://www.eoht.info/page/Genius that henri poincare got a 35 on an iq test. I think that is really interesting, if its true! I've heard that people with mental deficiency score in the 60's, so 35 would be really low! I used to think iq meant something years ago, but I dropped that in 9th grade, when I realized I could do math without a "high" IQ, but now I'm of the opinion that IQ is very useless except under very limited contexts! thoughts?

Thanks,
Mathguy15

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

From your link:
The classic example to illustrate this is the fact that French mathematician Henri Poincare took the Binet intelligence test and scored at the imbecile level (IQ=35): “Had he been judged as a child instead of the famous mathematician he was, he would have been rated by the test as an imbecile.”

More likely, a classic example of a "fact" misinterpreted out of context.

Binet was one of the early pioneers of intelligence testing, and scored his tests to indicate the "mental age" of the subject. The web page doesn't say at what physical age Poincare was tested, but "a mental age of 35" isn't "an imbecile", on any reasonable interpretation.

Mathguy15 said:
I read here http://www.eoht.info/page/Genius that henri poincare got a 35 on an iq test. I think that is really interesting, if its true! I've heard that people with mental deficiency score in the 60's, so 35 would be really low! I used to think iq meant something years ago, but I dropped that in 9th grade, when I realized I could do math without a "high" IQ, but now I'm of the opinion that IQ is very useless except under very limited contexts! thoughts?

Thanks,
Mathguy15

I can't really find a reputable source for this claim.

micromass said:
Imbecile is (or was) the official name of an IQ between 26 and 50. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbecile

Binet didn't use the "modern" standard IQ scale with mean = 100 and SD = 15, because that was not invented until after Binet and Poincare were both dead.

He was mainly interested in the development of young children and was trying to measure their "mental age" compared with their physical age. That type of scale doesn't make much sense for adults, or even for adolescents, but Binet wasn't trying to measure adult intelligence.

AlephZero said:
From your link:

More likely, a classic example of a "fact" misinterpreted out of context.

Binet was one of the early pioneers of intelligence testing, and scored his tests to indicate the "mental age" of the subject. The web page doesn't say at what physical age Poincare was tested, but "a mental age of 35" isn't "an imbecile", on any reasonable interpretation.

According to Wiki, Binet made major revisions of his intelligence test just prior to his death in 1911.
If Poincare was tested in, say, the period 1908-1911, he would have been in his mid-fifties.
If there is anything valuable about Binet's original testing method, a mental age of 35 ought to be a PEAK value in his system.
A middle-aged man retaining his youthful mental agility is quite impressive..

AlephZero said:
Binet didn't use the "modern" standard IQ scale with mean = 100 and SD = 15, because that was not invented until after Binet and Poincare were both dead.

He was mainly interested in the development of young children and was trying to measure their "mental age" compared with their physical age. That type of scale doesn't make much sense for adults, or even for adolescents, but Binet wasn't trying to measure adult intelligence.

okay, that's why it was "35".

What is the significance of Henri Poincare's IQ test score of 35?

The significance of Henri Poincare's IQ test score of 35 is that it is considered to be extremely low, as the average IQ score is around 100. This score suggests that Poincare may have had intellectual challenges or learning disabilities.

Was Henri Poincare considered to be a genius despite his low IQ test score?

Yes, Henri Poincare was still considered to be a genius in his field despite his low IQ test score. He was a renowned mathematician and physicist who made significant contributions to the fields of mathematics, physics, and philosophy.

How accurate are IQ tests in measuring intelligence?

IQ tests are not always accurate in measuring intelligence as they only test certain cognitive abilities and do not take into account other factors such as creativity, emotional intelligence, and practical skills. Additionally, IQ tests can be influenced by cultural and socioeconomic factors.

Did Henri Poincare's low IQ test score affect his success in his career?

No, Henri Poincare's low IQ test score did not affect his success in his career. He was highly respected and recognized for his contributions to mathematics and physics, regardless of his IQ test score.

Do IQ test scores determine a person's level of intelligence?

No, IQ test scores do not definitively determine a person's level of intelligence. While they can provide some insight into a person's cognitive abilities, they do not measure all aspects of intelligence and should not be used as the sole measure of intelligence.