Hermitian conjugation of a four-vector

• Thread starter miemie0205
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hermitian
In summary: I apologize for not mentioning the book. It is "Group Theory in a Nutshell for Physicists" by A. Zee. I was trying to follow the logic from this book. I can see the difference of my M with the original M. I just wanted to write it in another form so I can understand it. At this point, I am so confused with the notation and the physical meanings of the variables in my M. I need some time to go through some materials and get back to this problem. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it. :cry:In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding the formula for calculating the squared amplitude of a process involving two photons and a Higgs boson
miemie0205

Homework Statement

$$M=C/m(k.k'g^{\mu\nu} - k^{\nu}k'^{\mu})\epsilon ^*_{\mu}(k,\lambda)\epsilon _{\nu}(k',\lambda ')$$
Calculate $$\sum _{\lambda} |M|^2$$

Homework Equations

$$\sum _{\lambda}\epsilon ^*_{\mu}\epsilon _{\nu}=-g_{\mu\nu}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I find $$M^{\dagger}= C/m[k.k'g_{\mu\nu} + k_{\nu}k'_{\mu}]\epsilon _{\nu}\epsilon ^*_{\mu}$$
Is this right? I'm confused because I usually calculate hermitian conjugation of an operator, not a specificfour-vector like $$k_{\mu}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably to clarify what each factor is. I'm guessing that the ##\epsilon_\mu(k,\lambda)## are complex-valued polarization vectors which mutually commute? If so, I'm not sure you need ##M^\dagger##, but merely ##\overline M## (i.e., complex conjugate of ##M##). In which case the final factors would be something like ##\epsilon_\mu \, \epsilon^*_\nu##.

Then perform the computation directly. (Choose a different pair of dummy indices in ##\overline M## or you'll end up in a mess.)

Likes miemie0205
My bad. I need to correct some points.
$$M=C/m(k\cdot k' g^{\mu\nu} - k^\nu k'^\mu)\epsilon^*_\mu(k,\lambda) \epsilon^*_\nu(k',\lambda') $$
with
$$\epsilon^*_\mu(k,\lambda) \epsilon^*_\nu(k',\lambda')$$ are polarization vectors.
I am fine with these polarization vectors conjugate. They are $$\epsilon_\mu(k,\lambda) \epsilon_\nu(k',\lambda')$$
And the conjugate of $$k\cdot k' g^{\mu\nu}$$ is $$k\cdot k' g_{\mu\nu}$$
How is the conjugate of $$k^\nu k'^\mu$$ Is it $$k^{*\nu}k'^{*\mu}$$
From all the books about quantum physics I have, I know how to take the Hermitian conjugate or complex conjugate of an operator, a matrix. But I am confused with 4-momenta like $$k^\nu k'^\mu$$

miemie0205 said:
And the conjugate of $$k\cdot k' g^{\mu\nu}$$ is $$k\cdot k' g_{\mu\nu}$$
Are you sure about that? :oldwink:

Aren't those things all real-valued? I'm guessing that ##{\mathbf k}## is a real-valued vector, not complex-valued. (?)

Btw, ##g^{\mu\nu}## denotes the components of the matrix inverse to the matrix whose components are ##g_{\mu\nu}##.

How is the conjugate of $$k^\nu k'^\mu$$ Is it $$k^{*\nu}k'^{*\mu}$$
If ##{\mathbf k}## is a real-valued vector, you don't have to do anything. (Note that ##M## as a whole is a scalar, afaict.)

If ##{\mathbf k}## were complex-valued, then you'd just take the complex conjugate of each component.

HTH.

Likes miemie0205
From the book that I am using: the metric tensor is:
$$g_{\mu\nu}=g^{\mu\nu}= \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & -1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & -1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}$$
and k, k' are the four-momenta of two photons in a final state of $$h(q) \leftarrow \gamma(k,\lambda)\gamma(k',\lambda')$$
h(q) is the Higgs Boson. So k, k' are real, aren't they?
The thing that made me confused is that $$k,k'$$ and $$k^\nu,k'^\mu$$ appear together in the parentheses.
I have to take this Particle class in less than 3 weeks, so I apologize for my silly questions (if they are) :cry:

Yes, ##k## and ##k'## are real-valued 4-vectors. Note that ##k## (no index) usually means the whole vector, whereas ##k^\mu## means the ##\mu##'th component thereof. Hence, ##k \cdot k'## is probably shorthand for ##k^\alpha k'_\alpha##, which is the same as ##g_{\alpha\beta} k^\alpha k'^\beta##.

Btw, I don't regard any question as "silly" if the student is genuinely trying to learn. :oldbiggrin:
We just need to zero in on exactly what you don't understand.

Likes miemie0205
So ##k\cdot k'=\sum_{over all \alpha} k_\alpha k'^\alpha## right?
Within the same book when they mention the 4-vector, they wrote p (without the above arrow). Normal vector they wrote ##\vec p## or ##\bf p## and ##p^\mu## is the contravariant vector, which is ##p^\mu=(E, p_x, p_y, p_z)##
Then I can interpret M as another form as follow:
[tex]M=C/m(k\cdot k' g^{\mu\nu} - k^\nu k'^\mu)\epsilon^*_\mu(k,\lambda) \epsilon^*_\nu(k',\lambda')
=C/m(g_{\mu\nu}k^\mu k'^\nu - k^\nu k'^\mu)\epsilon^*_\mu(k,\lambda) \epsilon^*_\nu(k',\lambda')[/tex]
At this point everything makes sense.
And ##g_{\mu\nu}##, ##g^{\mu\nu}##, are they equal?

miemie0205 said:
So ##k\cdot k'=\sum_{over all \alpha} k_\alpha k'^\alpha## right?
Yes. But since you need to ask this question, read this Wiki page about the Einstein summation convention. I was using that convention when I wrote ##k_\alpha k'^\alpha## -- the summation over ##\alpha## is understood and need not be shown explicitly.

Within the same book
Which book? (Btw, it's always best to mention your sources at the beginning of this kind of thread.)

when they mention the 4-vector, they wrote p (without the above arrow). Normal vector they wrote ##\vec p## or ##\bf p## and ##p^\mu## is the contravariant vector, which is ##p^\mu=(E, p_x, p_y, p_z)##
You'd have to check the author's conventions carefully. Sometimes the over-arrow denotes a 3-vector. Sometimes bold font denotes a 3-vector, but ordinary font denotes 4-vector. Sometimes Greek indices denote 4-vector indices, while Latin indices (i,j,k, etc) denote 3-vector indices.

Then I can interpret M as another form as follow:
[tex]M=C/m(k\cdot k' g^{\mu\nu} - k^\nu k'^\mu)\epsilon^*_\mu(k,\lambda) \epsilon^*_\nu(k',\lambda')
=C/m(g_{\mu\nu}k^\mu k'^\nu - k^\nu k'^\mu)\epsilon^*_\mu(k,\lambda) \epsilon^*_\nu(k',\lambda')[/tex]
At this point everything makes sense.
NO. Your right hand side is wrong. You should have written $$C/m(k_\alpha k'^\alpha g^{\mu\nu} - k^\nu k'^\mu)\epsilon^*_\mu(k,\lambda) \epsilon^*_\nu(k',\lambda') ~.$$Can you see the difference? In the original ##M## there's implicit summation over ##\mu## and ##\nu##, so ##M## is a scalar. You can't just introduce more of the same indices inside the expression. (Write out ##M## with explicit summation signs to see what I mean.)

Btw, both your ##\epsilon## now seem to have a star, but in your OP only one of them did.

And ##g_{\mu\nu}##, ##g^{\mu\nu}##, are they equal?
Those components happen to be numerically equal in this case because that matrix is its own inverse. I.e., let $$g ~:=~ \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & -1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & -1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}$$Then ##g^{-1} = g##. The matrix equation ##g g^{-1} = 1## is written in component form as
$$g_{\mu\lambda}\, g^{\lambda\nu} ~=~ \delta_\mu^\nu ~,$$where ##\delta_\mu^\nu## is the Kronecker delta. You'll need to become familiar with translating between such matrix notation and component notation, and understand how to use the summation convention on repeated indices.

What is the definition of Hermitian conjugation of a four-vector?

The Hermitian conjugation of a four-vector is a mathematical operation that involves taking the complex conjugate of each component of the four-vector, and then reversing the sign of the imaginary part of the time component.

What is the purpose of Hermitian conjugation of a four-vector?

The purpose of Hermitian conjugation is to transform a four-vector into its corresponding dual vector, which allows for the representation of quantities such as energy and momentum in quantum mechanics.

How is Hermitian conjugation related to Lorentz transformations?

Hermitian conjugation and Lorentz transformations are closely related, as the Hermitian conjugate of a four-vector is equivalent to the transformation matrix used in Lorentz transformations. This allows for the conservation of energy and momentum in relativistic systems.

What are the properties of Hermitian conjugation?

Some important properties of Hermitian conjugation include the fact that it is an involution (meaning that taking the Hermitian conjugate twice returns the original four-vector), and that it is a linear operation.

How is Hermitian conjugation used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Hermitian conjugation is used to represent physical observables such as position and momentum. It is also used to calculate probabilities of particle interactions and to determine the time evolution of a quantum system.