Hey all, I really with this homework. Any help would be appreciated

In summary: If you can't do that, then please feel free to post your question in the forum and someone more experienced can help you. Have fun!
spartanpol
Hey all, I really need help with this homework. Any help would be appreciated(FIXED)

Problem: Ball of mass m hangs on a string of length L straight down from a cart of mass
M standing on horizontal rails. The cart can move along the rails without friction.
While the cart is at rest, the ball is given a horizontal velocity v0, v0 < sqr(2gl) directed
along the rails.

(a) What is velocity of the ball when it reaches
its maximal elevation?
(b) What is elevation h that the ball reaches
above its original location?

First of all hello.
I am new to this forum and don't really know your ways yet, so please forgive me if I do something wrong. This problem has tormented me for days. I did all the other homework problems for this week and this is the last one. If anyone would help me solve the problem I would be forever grateful.

m = mass of the ball
M = mass of the cart
v0 = velocity given to the ball
V = velocity of the cart
theta = angle between the starting position of the string and the maximal elevation of the string

Sorry for not giving any attempts, but I really don't know where to start on this one. All i have is:
(1/2)m(v0)^2 = (1/2)mv^2 + mgh + (1/2)MV^2
mv0 = mvcos(theta) + MV
I also found center of mass, in respect to the position of the ball:
(L - mL/(M + m) = CM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
spartanpol said:
1. Ball of mass m hangs on a string of length ` straight down from a cart of mass
M standing on horizontal rails. The cart can move along the rails without friction.
While the cart is at rest, the ball is given a horizontal velocity v0, v0 <
p
2g`, directed
along the rails.

Homework Equations

(a) What is velocity of the ball when it reaches
its maximal elevation?
(b) What is elevation h that the ball reaches
above its original location?

First of all hello.
I am new to this forum and don't really know your ways yet, so please forgive me if I do something wrong. This problem has tormented me for days. I did all the other homework problems for this week and this is the last one. If anyone would help me solve the problem I would be forever grateful.

Hello spartanpo. Welcome to PF !

You have some typos.

I am unable to make sense of your question.

spartanpol said:
I am new to this forum and don't really know your ways yet

Well, our ways are that you must show your attempts to solve the problem before we can help.

1. How can I get help with my homework?

There are several ways you can get help with your homework. You can ask a classmate or friend for assistance, reach out to your teacher or professor for clarification, or seek online resources such as tutoring services or educational websites.

2. Is it okay to ask for help with my homework?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with your homework. It shows that you are taking your education seriously and are willing to put in the effort to understand the material. Seeking help can also improve your understanding and retention of the subject matter.

3. How do I know if the help I receive is considered cheating?

If you are seeking help from a classmate or friend, it is important to make sure that you are both following academic integrity guidelines set by your school. This means not copying each other's work or sharing answers. If you are seeking help from a teacher or tutor, they should provide you with guidance and assistance without giving you the answers directly.

4. Can I get help with my homework online?

Yes, there are many online resources available for students to get help with their homework. You can find educational websites, tutorials, and even virtual tutoring services that can assist you with your assignments. Just make sure to use reputable sources and not rely on them entirely for your homework.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand my homework after seeking help?

If you are still struggling with your homework after seeking help, it is important to communicate this with your teacher or professor. They may be able to provide additional resources or explain the material in a different way. It is also important to make sure you are putting in the effort to understand the material and not just relying on others for the answers.