Hi Question related to Gears and their chemical composition

In summary, the metallurgy website states that adding manganese to a steel will make it harder, stronger, and less ductile.
MustafaRauf
Hi ! This is Mustafa. I recently did my bachelor's and started working with Honda Motors.

So my manager asked me to do a little research regarding the Gear type (SCM415H) used. I have to check how varying the chemical composition of each element will result in the properties of the gear itself. Here is the list of elements and the standard compositions:

C (0.12-0.18%)
Si (0.15-0.35%)
Mn (0.55-0.90%)
P (0.03 max)
S (0.03 max)
Cr (0.85-1.25%)
Mo (0.15-0.30%)

I am not great with chemistry (since I am a design&simulation engineer) and can't find a lot of help on the internet. I need to know the specifics, how reducing and increasing the levels of each element will change the properties of the gear.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What you are interested in is not really Chemistry but Materials science.

Here's a reference to some of its concepts and toward the end are some plots of for how some steels respond based on carbon content...

http://people.virginia.edu/~lz2n/mse209/Chapter6.pdf

For gears, shearing is an important concept. I once assisted a machinist who maintained the college clock. Every winter it would freeze up and so to prevent major repairs he used a brass gear at a key spot that would shear and relieve the stress to the rest of the mechanism. He chose brass over steel because the brass sheared at a lower amount of force applied by the clock motor.

Likes MustafaRauf
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

What you are interested in is not really Chemistry but Materials science.

Here's a reference to some of its concepts and toward the end are some plots of for how some steels respond based on carbon content...

http://people.virginia.edu/~lz2n/mse209/Chapter6.pdf

For gears, shearing is an important concept. I once assisted a machinist who maintained the college clock. Every winter it would freeze up and so to prevent major repairs he used a brass gear at a key spot that would shear and relieve the stress to the rest of the mechanism. He chose brass over steel because the brass sheared at a lower amount of force applied by the clock motor.
Thankyou Jedi

I did go through the file and it mostly covers the properties. It however does not let me know how varying their compositions will effect the material (in this case a gear)

I did find some info but was hoping for a little specif answer.

Here:

Manganese: Used for increasing the hardness and strength of a gear. However it decreases ductility and weldability and effects the hardenability of steel.

I am looking for something like this about the elements mentioned above that are added in the manufacturing of a transmission gear.

Thanks. I've managed to find I what I was looking for. Where can I find the microstructure details on the Jis steel scm415h?

1. What are gears made of?

Gears are typically made of metal or plastic materials, such as steel, brass, or nylon. The specific material used depends on the intended use and function of the gear.

2. What is the chemical composition of gears?

The chemical composition of gears varies depending on the material used. For example, steel gears typically contain iron, carbon, and small amounts of other elements such as manganese, silicon, and phosphorus. Brass gears, on the other hand, are primarily made of copper and zinc.

3. Are gears subject to corrosion?

Yes, gears made of metal can be subject to corrosion over time. This can be prevented by using corrosion-resistant materials or applying protective coatings.

4. Can gears be made from non-metal materials?

Yes, gears can also be made from non-metal materials such as plastic, rubber, or wood. These materials are often used in applications where weight, noise, or cost are important factors.

5. How do the chemical properties of gears affect their performance?

The chemical properties of gears, such as their strength, hardness, and wear resistance, can greatly impact their performance. For example, a gear made of a softer material may wear down faster than one made of a harder material.