Chemical Composition of nickel alloy

In summary, the conversation discusses the composition of a nickel-based alloy and the allowable range of various elements. It is mentioned that the alloy also contains a small amount of tungsten, which may have come from recycled materials. The conversation also mentions the presence of other impurity elements like vanadium and the regulations for their limits in stainless steel. It is also noted that the specification for cast nickel and nickel alloys allows for a certain tolerance in the chemical composition. Overall, the topic revolves around the composition and regulations of nickel-based alloys.
Minghan
TL;DR Summary
chemical composition
I ask the foundry to cast nickel alloys and I took a piece metal to do a chemical test.

The element composition of the nickel alloy is Ni 70% Cr 12% Fe 1.2% Mo 2.5%...so far they all are in the allowable range.
But I found the alloy also contains W 0.004% !

Is this the normal condition ? ?
I check the regulation of chemical composition , it only indicates that this alloy need contain Ni ..% Cr ..% Fe..%...but it doesn't say the limit of other impurity of element.

And may SS 316 contain a little bit other impurity element like W 0.03%, V 0.02% ?? Normal??

Engineering news on Phys.org
The spec sheet (Nickel 316) specifies that iron should make up the balance.
But the best precision is specified for Phosphorous (0.045%). This implies that all values, including "balance" are specified to no better than +/- 0.005%. So 0.004% total impurities would barely pass the "balance" specification. You could arguably reject such a sample.

I don't know what is "normal", but either W 0.03% or V 0.02% would be out of spec.

Try to identify the source of the tungsten. If I remember correctly, Mo contaminates W ore, and is difficult to separate. So my first guess would be that it comes in with the molybdenum.

If the materials are derived from recycled HSS tooling, that would explain the mix of W, Mo and V.

Likes Minghan
Baluncore said:
Try to identify the source of the tungsten. If I remember correctly, Mo contaminates W ore, and is difficult to separate. So my first guess would be that it comes in with the molybdenum.

If the materials are derived from recycled HSS tooling, that would explain the mix of W, Mo and V.

Is there any regulation about chemical composition about stainless steel which is made from recycling scraps ?
Like the percentage of impurity substance such as W , V and etc should not exceed the limit values.

The composition of stainless steel will be specified in the National Standards.
For example; https://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=370
Follow that to; https://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=44
Permissible product analysis tolerances on the cast analysis ranges given in EN 10088-2
At the very bottom of that page is a table of limits for different elements, including vanadium.
Vanadium <0.20 ±0.03
So if V is specified as 0.00%, it can be up to 0.03%
That might suggest the alloy with V=0.2% was within spec.

Likes Minghan
My sample is a nickel-based alloy
The specification is A494/A494M Specification for Castings, Nickel and Nickel Alloy

I found this

http://209.195.157.233/EDIT/html_historical.cgi?A781/A781M+12a

It said that

5.3 Product Analysis—A product analysis may be made by the purchaser from material representing each heat, lot, or casting. The analysis shall be made on representative material. Samples for carbon analysis of carbon and alloy steel shall be taken no closer than ¼ in. [6 mm] to a cast surface, except that castings too thin for this shall be analyzed on representative material. The chemical composition thus determined shall meet the requirements specified in the applicable specification for the grade involved, or shall be subject to rejection by the purchaser, except that the chemical composition determined for carbon and low alloy steel castings may vary from the specified limits by the amounts shown in Table 1. The product analysis tolerances of Table 1 are not applicable as acceptance criteria for heat analysis by the casting manufacturer. When comparing product and heat analysis for other than carbon and low alloy steels, the reproducibility Data R2, in Test Methods E353 or E354, as applicable, shall be taken into consideration.

TABLE 1 Product Analysis Tolerances

Element​
Range, %A​
TolerancesB,C Over Maximum or Under Minimum Limit, %​
C​
up to 0.65
above 0.65​
0.03 × % CL + 0.02
0.04​
Mn​
up to 1
above 1​
0.08 × % MnL + 0.01
0.09​
Si​
up to 0.60
above 0.60​
0.22 × % SiL − 0.01
0.15​
P​
all​
0.13 × % PL + 0.005​
S​
all​
0.36 × % SL + 0.001​
Ni​
up to 2​
0.10 × % Ni L + 0.03​
above 2​
0.25​
Cr​
up to 2
above 2​
0.07 × % CrL + 0.04
0.18​
Mo​
up to 0.6
above 0.6​
0.04 × % MoL + 0.03
0.06​
V​
up to 0.25
above 0.25​
0.23 × % VL + 0.004
0.06​
W​
up to 0.10
above 0.10​
0.08 × % WL + 0.02
0.02​
Cu​
up to 0.15
above 0.15​
0.18 × % CuL + 0.02
0.05​
Al​
up to 0.10
above 0.10​
0.08 × % AlL + 0.02
0.03​

Is this tolerance only for carbon and low alloy steel castings?
Or this also can apply to the A494/A494M Nickel Alloy?
I want to know the nickel-based alloy (ASTM A494 series ) having W 0.004 inside is allowable or not.

1. What is nickel alloy?

Nickel alloy is a type of metal alloy that is primarily composed of nickel, along with other elements such as chromium, iron, and copper. It is known for its high strength, corrosion resistance, and heat resistance, making it a popular choice for various industrial and commercial applications.

2. What is the chemical formula for nickel alloy?

The chemical formula for nickel alloy can vary depending on the specific composition, but it typically contains a high percentage of nickel (above 50%) and smaller amounts of other elements such as chromium, iron, and copper. An example formula for a common type of nickel alloy, Inconel 625, is NiCr22Mo9Nb.

3. How is the chemical composition of nickel alloy determined?

The chemical composition of nickel alloy is determined through a process called spectroscopy. This involves using a spectrometer to analyze the wavelengths of light emitted by a sample of the alloy, which can then be used to identify the elements present and their relative concentrations.

4. What are the main properties of nickel alloy?

Nickel alloy is known for its high strength, corrosion resistance, and heat resistance. It also has good ductility and can be easily formed and welded. Additionally, nickel alloy has excellent performance in high-temperature environments, making it ideal for use in applications such as gas turbines and jet engines.

5. What are some common uses of nickel alloy?

Nickel alloy has a wide range of applications due to its desirable properties. It is commonly used in the aerospace, chemical, and oil and gas industries, as well as in the production of medical equipment and electronics. It is also used in household items such as kitchen appliances and jewelry.