High Capillary Length Materials: 1cm+ Easily Found

In summary, the conversation discusses the materials that have high capillary length, above 1cm, and can be easily found. The formula for calculating capillary length is mentioned, with the factors of surface tension and density affecting it. The conversation also mentions searching for a table of capillary lengths and the need to specify materials and atmosphere when using the formula. Finally, the conversation touches on the increase in capillary length when the atmosphere is another liquid.
ddddd28
Which materials have high capillary length, and can be found easily? (above 1cm)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ddddd28 said:
Which materials have high capillary length, and can be found easily? (above 1cm)
What reading have you been doing so far on this? What affects the capillary length of a material?

The formula is known to me. I just don't want to check each material.(surface tension, and density)
Do you know where can I find a table of capillary length?

ddddd28 said:
The formula is known to me. I just don't want to check each material.(surface tension, and density)
Do you know where can I find a table of capillary length?
Start with a Google Images search on Table of Capillary Lengths :smile:

You need to specify two or more materials. The tube, the target material, and depending on the atmosphere the atmosphere.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
You need to specify two or more materials. The tube, the target material, and depending on the atmosphere the atmosphere.

BoB
ok, but what value should I put instead of the surface tension γ in the formula? water- atmosphere, water- solid? √(γ/gρ)
I read somewhere that the capillary lengh doesn't exceed even 3mm for most of the liquids, even mercury. However, if the atmosphere is another liquid, the capillary lengh increases significantly, which makes it easier for my purposes.

1. What are high capillary length materials?

High capillary length materials are materials that have a long, narrow channel or tube-like structure that allows for the movement of liquids through capillary action.

2. How long is a high capillary length material?

A high capillary length material is typically 1cm or longer, but there is no specific length requirement as long as it allows for capillary action to occur.

3. What are some examples of high capillary length materials?

Cotton, paper, and sponges are all examples of high capillary length materials. These materials have long, fibrous structures that allow for the movement of liquids through capillary action.

4. How easily can high capillary length materials be found?

High capillary length materials are easily found in everyday objects such as plants, fabrics, and household items like paper towels and tissues.

5. What are the applications of high capillary length materials?

High capillary length materials have various applications in industries such as healthcare, agriculture, and manufacturing. They are often used in filters, wicks, and absorbent materials.