High energy electron positron branching ratios.

In summary, at high energies, the ratio of the cross-section for electron-positron annihilation to produce muons to the cross-section for electron-positron annihilation to produce taus tends to unity because both channels are available and the mass difference between muons and taus is small compared to the photon energy. However, the same does not hold for the ratio of the cross-section for electron-positron annihilation to produce muons to the cross-section for electron-positron scattering, as there are other processes for electron-positron scattering that must be taken into account.
SteDolan
Homework Statement

Why does the ratio:

[itex]\frac{σ(e^- + e^+ \rightarrow μ^- + μ^+) }{σ(e^- + e^+ \rightarrow τ^- + τ^+)}[/itex]

tend to unity at high energies and would you expect the same for:

[itex]\frac{σ(e^- + e^+ \rightarrow μ^- + μ^+) }{σ(e^- + e^+ \rightarrow e^- + e^+)}[/itex]

The attempt at a solution

So I have a good idea of the first part:

An electron positron annihilation is going to lead to a photon. If the photon's energy is large compared to twice the rest mass of a tau then both channels are available and, if the mass difference between a muon and tau is small on the scale of the photon energy, approximately the same as far as the photon is concerned.

Now for the second part. As far as I can tell my argument applies just as well to say that the second ratio should also tend to unity but the way the question is phrased implies it doesn't :tongue:.

I guess this means something is wrong with my approach to justifying the first ratio tending to unity?

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
SteDolan said:
An electron positron annihilation is going to lead to a photon. If the photon's energy is large compared to twice the rest mass of a tau then both channels are available and, if the mass difference between a muon and tau is small on the scale of the photon energy, approximately the same as far as the photon is concerned.
Correct.

Now for the second part. As far as I can tell my argument applies just as well to say that the second ratio should also tend to unity but the way the question is phrased implies it doesn't :tongue:.
Your argument is valid only for the specific process you considered...
Your feeling is right, the ratio does not go to 1.

Thanks for the reply.

But as soon as you've got the free photon I don't understand why it would favor (or disfavor) an electron positron pair rather than a muon or tau pair.

The argument would just be if the energy is much greater than twice the muon rest mass the muon and electron are the same as far as the photon is concerned.

The only thing I can think of is that, since the photon is created by an electron positron pair, is it at a sort of resonance energy for electron positron production? This would obviously favor electron pair production.

SteDolan said:
But as soon as you've got the free photon I don't understand why it would favor (or disfavor) an electron positron pair rather than a muon or tau pair.
It does not, but getting a single (virtual) photon is not the only process.
There are other processes for ee->ee only.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the hint! I think I understand:

The ee -> ee interaction has a scattering channel as well as the annihilation channel. By the Feynman rules these matrix elements should be subtracted leading to a reduced ee -> ee cross section.

Reduced?
Are you sure?

Especially for low momentum transfers, the cross-section is large.

1. What are high energy electron positron branching ratios?

High energy electron positron branching ratios refer to the different ways in which a high energy electron and positron can decay into other particles. This decay process is known as branching and the ratios represent the probability of each decay pathway occurring.

2. Why is studying high energy electron positron branching ratios important?

Studying high energy electron positron branching ratios allows scientists to better understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the interactions between particles. It also helps in testing and refining theories such as the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. How are high energy electron positron branching ratios measured?

High energy electron positron branching ratios are measured through experiments using particle accelerators. The particles are collided at high energies and the resulting decay products are recorded and analyzed to determine the branching ratios.

4. What factors can affect high energy electron positron branching ratios?

Several factors can affect high energy electron positron branching ratios, including the energy of the particles, the type of particles involved, and the strength of the interactions between them. The mass and spin of the particles can also play a role in determining the branching ratios.

5. What are some current research areas related to high energy electron positron branching ratios?

Some current research areas related to high energy electron positron branching ratios include studying the properties of the Higgs boson, searching for new particles beyond the Standard Model, and investigating the nature of dark matter. These studies can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of nature and the origins of the universe.