High Frequency that can cause g-sensor damage

In summary, The PCB depaneling machine can damage the sensitive gyro-sensor if the frequency is above 75kHz or 100g. To measure the frequency of the PCB, the researcher used a laser doppler vibrometer connected to an oscilloscope. To convert the amplitude to g-force, the researcher assumed a sin wave and used the second derivative of the amplitude to determine the acceleration.
Master_Viper
Hello All,

Anyone can help, but first allow me to give you some background, I have a project this project is to measure the frequency of the PCB depaneling machine that might damage the sensetive component which is the gyro-sensor. The sensor will damage if the frequency is above 75kHz or 100 g (gravitational force). So, Inorder to measure this I have to use a Laser doppler vibrometer, however, the equipment that I used is not capable to measure the entire length of the PCB, what I did is connect the equipment to oscilloscope so that I can measure the entire length of the PCB. Now, I have the reading of frequency and amplitude. My question is how to convert the amplitude into acceleration/velocity to get the unit measurement of g.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Somewhere there is likely a Fourier transform of time series data. One can perform a Fourier transform carefully and yield a spectrum that has expected units that are properly normalized in terms of amplitude (g's or m/s/s vs. frequency). Do you have the original acceleration vs. time data in known units?

Can you assume a sample corresponds to a sin wave: position = amplitude x sin(time x frequency x 2 x pi)? If so, then you could use the second derivative = - amplitude x (frequency x 2 x pi)^2 x sin(time x frequency x 2 x pi). Peak acceleration would occur when sin() == 1.

Likes berkeman
Dr. Courtney said:
Somewhere there is likely a Fourier transform of time series data. One can perform a Fourier transform carefully and yield a spectrum that has expected units that are properly normalized in terms of amplitude (g's or m/s/s vs. frequency). Do you have the original acceleration vs. time data in known units?
Dr. Courtney said:

I have a reading of the following:
Frequency : 171.4 Khz
Peak-Peak : 3.28 V
Amplitude : 120mV
RMS : 479mV

Base on the above data I tried to transform to Fourrier Spectrum Analyzer, However, the problem is the unit measurement of amplitude.

To determine acceleration (g-force), you need amplitude ((peak to peak) / 2) as a measure of distance (not voltage).

1. What is "High Frequency" and how can it cause g-sensor damage?

High Frequency refers to the speed at which a signal or vibration occurs. When exposed to high frequency vibrations, the internal components of a g-sensor, such as the accelerometer, may become overworked and damaged over time.

2. What types of devices are affected by g-sensor damage caused by high frequency?

Any device that relies on g-sensor technology, such as smartphones, tablets, fitness trackers, and gaming controllers, can be affected by g-sensor damage caused by high frequency vibrations.

3. How can I prevent g-sensor damage from high frequency vibrations?

One way to prevent g-sensor damage is by reducing the exposure to high frequency vibrations. This can be done by avoiding extreme activities, such as extreme sports or using the device in a moving vehicle. Another way is to use protective cases or covers that can absorb vibrations.

4. What are the signs of g-sensor damage caused by high frequency vibrations?

The signs of g-sensor damage may vary depending on the device, but common signs include inaccurate readings, unresponsiveness, and sudden shut down of the device. If you suspect g-sensor damage, it is best to have the device checked by a professional technician.

5. Can g-sensor damage from high frequency vibrations be repaired?

In some cases, g-sensor damage can be repaired by a professional technician. However, it is important to note that the extent of the damage and the cost of repair may vary. It is always best to take preventive measures to avoid g-sensor damage in the first place.