High quality adaptation of VFD: 1 to 3 phase; 15kw.

In summary: It's incredibly dangerous. You could easily kill yourself or your house if you don't know what you're doing. In summary, this person is considering powering a 15kW VFD with a 10kW motor by rectifying the single phase power. They are considering using a voltage multiplier to double the voltage, and then regulating it down. This is a dangerous idea and should not be attempted by an uneducated user.
mooliak
Hi All,

I have access to a 15kW VFD for little money. I only have single phase 240 vac at home, and need to drive a 10kW motor, 3 phase, 415v. I have been reading that 3 phase input VFDs can be run on single phase, but they must be derated by 50%. This would mean a 20 kW VFD. Also, it is a crude solution, and I am looking at doing it better.

What I am thinking is to rectify the incoming single phase. This, I think, would give me ## sqrt2 * V rms ## ie ## 240 * 1.4 = 336 V ##.

This would have much more ripple than the 3 phase produced by the VFD's 3 phase rectifier, but could be smoothed with appropriate caps. The voltage expected from a 6 pulse 3 phase rectifier would be, I think, ## 1.35 * V rms ## which is ##1.35 * 415 = 560 V dc ##

My plan is to feed my dc onto the dc bus of the VFD so that the output stage won't see any difference from if it had been produced by its own rectifier.

Can I employ a voltage multiplier to double it, and then regulate it down? How much would the internal circuitry of the VFD compensate if I just put the 336 v dc in?

Golden words from those who knows would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you want to do sounds dangerous!

Your motor is rated for 10kW. Drawing that much power from 240V will take more than 41 Amps. Your motor should have a name plate on it. The name plate will include an amp rating. That should be how much it draws under full load with power factor and all figured in. Even still you need to account for high currents during startup (inrush) and any losses from rectification or inversion. That kind of stuff can be found in NEC tables.

Let's say we have it all figured and come up with around 55 Amps for your motor. It's doubtful that you have a circuit that can handle that much current in your house. You almost certainly do not have receptacle in your house that can receive a 55 Amp or bigger plug.

To answer one of your questions. It's not a good idea to multiply the voltage when your handling that kind of power. Your device would be a real beast once it's big enough to handle the power. It's better to use a transformer to raise the voltage before the rectifier. Remember that the transformer and the rectifier must have the proper power ratings to handle your VFD and motor. Any wires connecting anything at all must have the correct ampacity ratings.

I don't recommend that you do this. This is what industrial electricians are trained for.

1. What is the purpose of adapting a VFD from 1 to 3 phase?

Adapting a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) from 1 to 3 phase allows for more efficient use of power and better control of motor speed and performance. This is especially useful in industrial settings where varying motor speeds are required for different processes.

2. Can any VFD be adapted from 1 to 3 phase?

No, not all VFDs are able to be adapted from 1 to 3 phase. It is important to check the specifications of the VFD and consult with a professional to determine if it is possible to adapt your specific VFD.

3. What is the difference between 1 phase and 3 phase power?

1 phase power is a single alternating current that provides a constant power supply. 3 phase power is a three-phase alternating current that provides a more balanced and efficient power supply. 3 phase power is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings.

4. How does adapting a VFD from 1 to 3 phase affect its performance?

Adapting a VFD from 1 to 3 phase can improve its performance by allowing for better control of motor speed and more efficient use of power. It can also increase the overall lifespan of the VFD as it is able to handle larger loads and operate at higher speeds.

5. Is it necessary to hire a professional for adapting a VFD from 1 to 3 phase?

Yes, it is highly recommended to hire a professional for adapting a VFD from 1 to 3 phase. This process involves wiring and electrical work, which should only be done by someone with the proper knowledge and experience. A professional can also ensure that the adaptation is done correctly and safely.