High school courses on Permutations and combinations

In summary: I think David Morin published a probability book that is free to legally download the PDF. I remember reading it a bit, but it was too verbose for my taste. But it looked like a good book. Maybe have a look at that..
sahilmm15
Can you give me some high school papers or courses on p and c . I have a good source for problems but need a concise and compact course covering concepts. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sahilmm15 said:
But I found out that my mental energy drains at a very rapid rate. I wake up with full energy but after few hours of physics or math it becomes almost 0. Even if I want to continue I cannot continue.

Given that, are you sure you want to start another topic now? Maybe you should wait until you are done with something else.

Vanadium 50 said:
Given that, are you sure you want to start another topic now? Maybe you should wait until you are done with something else.
Well, few days ago I was asking problems about PMI( I am clear with it.) now I am asking questions about P and C on this forum, that's why I asked you about some material. Our curriculum is such that for a topic to complete we need a maximum of 10-15 days. In physics I am doing now ( NLM , before electrostatics). So we don't go too deep. To give you a sense of what do we need to study. I am giving you some sub topics

1. Fundamental Principle of Counting.
2.Factorial notation.
3.Permutation( No of thing taken r at a time, all at a time , etc ...)
4. Combinations.
5. Circular Permutations.
6. Clockwise and anticlockwise arrangements.
6.Division and distribution.
7. Multinomial Theorem.
8.Principle of inclusion and exclusion.
9. De arrangement theorem.

That's all. I would go deep in problems, but need a good source for concepts.

sahilmm15 said:
Well, few days ago I was asking problems about PMI( I am clear with it.) now I am asking questions about P and C on this forum, that's why I asked you about some material. Our curriculum is such that for a topic to complete we need a maximum of 10-15 days. In physics I am doing now ( NLM , before electrostatics). So we don't go too deep. To give you a sense of what do we need to study. I am giving you some sub topics

1. Fundamental Principle of Counting.
2.Factorial notation.
3.Permutation( No of thing taken r at a time, all at a time , etc ...)
4. Combinations.
5. Circular Permutations.
6. Clockwise and anticlockwise arrangements.
6.Division and distribution.
7. Multinomial Theorem.
8.Principle of inclusion and exclusion.
9. De arrangement theorem.

That's all. I would go deep in problems, but need a good source for concepts.
I think this information is found in a book on introduction to Probability Theory. A bit too deep for high school students. Personally, I have never seen a good explanation in a high school resource. Maybe try KHAN Academy or something of that sort. Do you have specific problems?

I believe David Morin published a probability book that is free to legally download the PDF. I remember reading it a bit, but it was too verbose for my taste. But it looked like a good book. Maybe have a look at that..

1. What are permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are mathematical concepts that involve arranging or selecting elements from a given set. Permutations refer to the number of ways to arrange a set of objects in a specific order, while combinations refer to the number of ways to select a subset of objects from a larger set.

2. Why are permutations and combinations important in high school courses?

Permutations and combinations are important in high school courses because they are fundamental concepts in mathematics and have numerous applications in various fields, such as probability, statistics, and computer science. They also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How do I calculate permutations and combinations?

To calculate permutations, use the formula n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being arranged. To calculate combinations, use the formula n! / (r! * (n-r)!) where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected.

4. Can you give an example of permutations and combinations?

For example, if you have 4 different colored marbles (red, blue, green, and yellow) and you want to arrange 3 of them in a specific order, you would use the permutation formula: 4! / (4-3)! = 24. This means there are 24 different ways to arrange the marbles. If you want to select 2 marbles out of the 4 without regard to order, you would use the combination formula: 4! / (2! * (4-2)!) = 6. This means there are 6 different combinations of 2 marbles.

5. How can I apply permutations and combinations in real life?

Permutations and combinations have many real-life applications, such as in probability and statistics. For example, in a lottery, the order of the numbers drawn is a permutation, and the numbers you choose to play are a combination. They are also used in computer science for coding and encryption algorithms. Additionally, they can be used in everyday situations, such as arranging a group of people in a line or selecting items from a menu.