High Speed Photography Circuit

In summary: The resistor will just lower the voltage so it can't cause damage to your camera.Basically, it will turn the voltage down so it's not too high for your camera and it will also allow you to control when the shutter goes off.
noagname
I want to take high speed shots. My problem is I don't want to buy an expensive flash, so I thought let me make a sound activated shutter. In other words the moment their is a sound my camera takes a picture. After spending hours on the internet I was only able to find circuits that give me and output of 400 volts. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=211988"

Yes I do know that all of those are meant for flashes but found a way to that output into my camera, I just can't have 400 volts coming out of their.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean "high speed shots"? How many frames do you wish to capture per second? The reason it's often done with a flash is because normal cameras can't get anywhere near enough light in (using ambient sources) in the small duration required.

I have a Nikon d80, and I should have made it more clear. I have an external light source with is strong enough for what I am doing, only problem is, is it not meant to be turned on and off at high speeds. "High speed shots" I just meant taking high speed photography, and I don't really care the amount of frames per second.

So you want to use the Nikon's shutter? Surely the Nikon has a remote shutter release input, which would just be a circuit to close?

Yea, you are spot on. The jack on the camera is just a circuit, when to connect one side to the other the shutter goes off. I need to make it so the shutter goes off the moment it hears a sound. Only problem is, is in the 5 links that i gave they all have a giant voltage output.

Once I find a way to lower the voltage. I need to find a way to connect the circuit with the camera. Off of ebay I can get for 4-5$ a wire that goes into the camera.

It seems the third circuit you found should be perfect.
http://lullaby.homepage.dk/diy-camera/usoft.html

Just use a resistor instead of the MOC3020 part (or possibly put a resistor across terminals 6 and 4) to do the level translation. Assuming the voltage you need is below 9V, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
How strong of a resistor and what does the moc3020 do?

maybe you can just use the circuit as is. what are the input requirements of your camera?

voltage requirments, I have no clue. Like I said earlier the camera jack where I control the shutter has 4 pieces of metal, If I stick a wire in and touch wire A, B all to D then the camera goes off. If I touch a wire to just C and then to D the camera re focuses(which I don't care about.)

What is high speed photography?

High speed photography is a technique in which fast-moving objects are captured in a still image using specialized equipment and techniques. It allows for freezing and capturing moments that are too quick for the human eye to see.

What is a high speed photography circuit?

A high speed photography circuit is a specific circuit that is used to trigger a camera shutter at precise and adjustable intervals. These circuits can be either homemade or commercially available, and are typically used in conjunction with other equipment to achieve high speed photography.

How does a high speed photography circuit work?

A high speed photography circuit typically consists of a timer, a relay, and a camera trigger. The timer is used to set the intervals at which the camera will take photos, and the relay is used to trigger the camera shutter. This allows for precise control over the timing of the photos, allowing for the capture of fast-moving objects.

What equipment do I need for high speed photography?

In addition to a high speed photography circuit, you will also need a camera with manual settings, a tripod, a fast lens, and a subject to photograph. Depending on the type of high speed photography you are doing, you may also need additional equipment such as a flash, a trigger sensor, or a laser beam.

What are some tips for successful high speed photography?

To achieve successful high speed photography, it is important to have a clear understanding of the equipment and techniques involved. It is also helpful to have a fast camera with a high shutter speed and a fast lens. Additionally, using a stable tripod and controlling the lighting conditions can greatly improve the quality of the final images.