High temperature spiral sleeves

In summary: Wrapping the cables will likely not help. Power cables generate heat. So with heat from outside and heat from the cable, they will likely overheat. Thermal insulation will hurt, not help your problem. You might still need to insulate them for other reasons though.In addition there are electrical considerations for any insulation.It should be moderately easy to design a solution, but I suspect it will need to be designed. That means spending the money on an engineer.
Rajesh B
Hi.

I want use high temperature spiral sleeves which should withstand around 300 deg C and I want wrap these sleeves around power cables which are passed in enclosure having thermal block and we will heat this block up to 400 deg C

Please suggest me how to overcome and suggest best suitable spiral sleeves.

Thank you

Rajesh

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the purpose of the sleeves? Are the power cables spirals?

My initial thought would be some sort of ceramic for temperature and and electric insulation (assuming you want those). However thermal expansion will make material choice critical.

They could be powder coated and sintered.

Another option would be some sort of fiberglass/fiberrock. This would give more flex, but less thermal conductivity.

Likes berkeman
Sound similar to this - http://www.jegs.com/i/Taylor/895/2511/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710641085&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=230006180000848396&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAjw-IOwBRD1wrTC27fSjFISJABUDZ17evG0smxZJ4vL3xdlOjNyOzszwQKWrW7lFDhTG1U-ERoCdqjw_wcB

Likes Rajesh B
Windadct said:
Sound similar to this - http://www.jegs.com/i/Taylor/895/2511/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710641085&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=230006180000848396&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAjw-IOwBRD1wrTC27fSjFISJABUDZ17evG0smxZJ4vL3xdlOjNyOzszwQKWrW7lFDhTG1U-ERoCdqjw_wcB

Gotta love this part of the specs...
NHRA Approved

Likes Rajesh B
Jeff Rosenbury said:
What is the purpose of the sleeves? Are the power cables spirals?

My initial thought would be some sort of ceramic for temperature and and electric insulation (assuming you want those). However thermal expansion will make material choice critical.

They could be powder coated and sintered.

Another option would be some sort of fiberglass/fiberrock. This would give more flex, but less thermal conductivity.

The power cables are normal cables only and these cables will melt for around 100 deg C so I want to wrap these sleeves around these cables.

Rajesh B said:
The power cables are normal cables only and these cables will melt for around 100 deg C so I want to wrap these sleeves around these cables.
Wrapping the cables will likely not help. Power cables generate heat. So with heat from outside and heat from the cable, they will likely overheat. Thermal insulation will hurt, not help your problem. You might still need to insulate them for other reasons though.

In addition there are electrical considerations for any insulation.

It should be moderately easy to design a solution, but I suspect it will need to be designed. That means spending the money on an engineer.

My initial thought would be to use a higher temperature cable, perhaps a tungsten or titanium alloy? Aluminum melts at 660º C. But I don't know how it behaves at 400º C. It might work.

Another solution might be to use metal pipes as electrical conductors and run a cooling fluid inside. But I doubt that would be as cheap.

1. What is the maximum temperature resistance of high temperature spiral sleeves?

The maximum temperature resistance of high temperature spiral sleeves varies depending on the material they are made of, but typically ranges from 500°F to 2000°F. It is important to check the specifications of the specific sleeve to ensure it can withstand the desired temperature.

2. How are high temperature spiral sleeves different from regular sleeves?

High temperature spiral sleeves are specifically designed to withstand extreme temperatures, while regular sleeves may not have the same level of heat resistance. They are made of specialized materials that can withstand high temperatures without melting or degrading.

3. What applications are high temperature spiral sleeves commonly used for?

High temperature spiral sleeves are commonly used in industrial settings, such as in furnaces, ovens, and other high heat environments. They are also used in automotive and aerospace industries for insulation and protection of wires and cables.

4. Can high temperature spiral sleeves be cut to a specific length?

Yes, high temperature spiral sleeves can be easily cut to a specific length using scissors or a sharp blade. This allows for customization to fit different wire or cable sizes, and also makes installation easier.

5. Are high temperature spiral sleeves reusable?

Yes, high temperature spiral sleeves are reusable. They are designed to withstand high temperatures and do not degrade easily, making them durable for multiple uses. However, it is important to check for any damage or wear and tear before reusing them to ensure optimal protection and insulation.