Highschool Student Looking To Possible Be involved In reaserch

In summary, it is highly unlikely for a high school student to be able to do advanced physics research, but there may be opportunities to gain research experience by working in a lab and assisting graduate students or post-docs. It is recommended to look into summer research programs at universities or national laboratories, and contacting the physics department or deans for potential opportunities.
TheKracken
Is this at all possible? I am currently a high school junior with little to no physics experience except for maby my current AP physics B class, but other then that I know nothing, so is it possible to get some sort of position at a college to help with reaserch? I am in no way looking to get paid, but rather would love to get some hands on experience I learn as much as I can, so if anyone has heard of this or has any constructive Ideas for me please post and let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems impossible. High school students know nothing which can be relevant to the research. The best you can do is trying to find your way in the lab. Don't expect to be able to do any relevant research what so ever.

I suppose you could have a productive time if somebody would take the time and explain things to you. But nobody is going to do that.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but that's just the way it is.

micromass said:
This seems impossible. High school students know nothing which can be relevant to the research. The best you can do is trying to find your way in the lab. Don't expect to be able to do any relevant research what so ever.

I wouldn't quite say that. It is probably near impossible or certainly impossible to do advanced physics research as a high school student, and it would be naive to expect a priori that you will be able to do "research" in the sense of making a significant contribution of your own (although there are high school students, perhaps of a somewhat advanced level, who do this).

It is more likely that you would be able to get a position in a lab helping a graduate student to run experiments that he or she has already designed and thought through, that you would just be following instructions for, or something of that nature. Don't constrain yourself to the physics field if you're looking to get research experience. I worked for a while in a chemistry lab when I was in high school, and I started out on pretty simple experiments and eventually, through making a genuine effort to understand the subject, got on a project of my own-- but now in college I'm not even taking any more chemistry classes. The important thing was that I developed an interest in research early on, which made me want to start research again very soon after I got into college. I also got a taste of academia, albeit a small one, that many undergrads don't come in with.

That said, I don't know anything about your background. Judge for yourself whether you're willing to put in the effort and understand what the lab is working on. A good place to look would be on the websites of labs at local universities, to see whether they have an "outreach" type program that is intended for high school students (something I've noticed is increasingly common).

Good luck!
--Eliza

micromass said:

I suppose you could have a productive time if somebody would take the time and explain things to you. But nobody is going to do that.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but that's just the way it is.

eliza_ said:
I wouldn't quite say that. It is probably near impossible or certainly impossible to do advanced physics research as a high school student, and it would be naive to expect a priori that you will be able to do "research" in the sense of making a significant contribution of your own (although there are high school students, perhaps of a somewhat advanced level, who do this).

It is more likely that you would be able to get a position in a lab helping a graduate student to run experiments that he or she has already designed and thought through, that you would just be following instructions for, or something of that nature. Don't constrain yourself to the physics field if you're looking to get research experience. I worked for a while in a chemistry lab when I was in high school, and I started out on pretty simple experiments and eventually, through making a genuine effort to understand the subject, got on a project of my own-- but now in college I'm not even taking any more chemistry classes. The important thing was that I developed an interest in research early on, which made me want to start research again very soon after I got into college. I also got a taste of academia, albeit a small one, that many undergrads don't come in with.

That said, I don't know anything about your background. Judge for yourself whether you're willing to put in the effort and understand what the lab is working on. A good place to look would be on the websites of labs at local universities, to see whether they have an "outreach" type program that is intended for high school students (something I've noticed is increasingly common).

Good luck!
--Eliza

I in no way thought I would be able to make any major contrabutions to the physics fields...or even small one's for that matter. I was thinking more of along the lines of learning and do lab type stuff to help out a post doc or somthing along those lines..even writting programs if needed, just whatever to get some experience and learn stuff in the process. Also who would you recommend I contact for something like this? the dean? or the head of the physcs department? let me know what you guys think.

Some laboratories have summer research programs for high schools students. Oak Ridge National Laboratory in particular comes to mind. Some of the other Department of Energy labs might as well. If you're not opposed to working in a military lab, I know a few of those also have programs which allow high schoolers to do research. So it is definitely possible for a high schooler to get into research.

Definitely don't contact anyone higher up than a professor, because a) they probably don't have time to answer your email and b) they probably don't really know who in the department would be willing to take you. Instead, read up carefully on what certain labs do, and send a well-written and concise email (get someone to proofread it if necessary) to the PI of the lab talking about what exactly interests you about his/her lab and why you'd be useful to the lab. You could even try contacting graduate students directly about their work-- they will have more time to answer your email than a PI would.

Also, I second @rhombusjr about summer programs.

--Eliza

You have a much better shot with summer programs.

If a professor tries to hire you, he will get questions like "why aren't you hiring an undergraduate? They're paying to go here" and "why are you hiring someone who is under 18 to work in a laboratory". It's a huge hassle. These summer programs have all the bureaucratic stuff taken care of.

NASA and MIT have summer programs for high school students to get involved in research. They are funded, which gives the professor/scientist a good reason to accept you - right now, they have no good reason. You're not one of their students, it won't help them in any way, it's going to take up a ton of their time (any student does) and you don't have any background. While I've known people who did get involved in research while in high school, they almost all had connections - parents who were professors, great high school teachers, etc.

Related to Highschool Student Looking To Possible Be involved In reaserch

1. What is research and why is it important for high school students?

Research is a systematic investigation and study of a particular topic or issue. It involves gathering and analyzing information to answer a specific question or solve a problem. Engaging in research as a high school student can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also allows students to explore their interests and potentially make contributions to their fields of interest.

2. How can a high school student get involved in research?

There are several ways for high school students to get involved in research. They can participate in science fairs, join research clubs or programs at their school, or reach out to local universities or research institutions for internships or volunteer opportunities. Online platforms, such as Citizen Science projects, also offer opportunities for high school students to contribute to research projects.

3. What are some examples of research that high school students can do?

High school students can conduct research in various fields, including biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, and environmental science. Some examples of research projects could be investigating the effect of different fertilizers on plant growth, studying the behavior of animals in different environments, or exploring the impact of social media on mental health.

4. What skills do high school students need to be successful in research?

To be successful in research, high school students need to have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They should also be able to work independently and collaboratively, have good time management and organization skills, and be able to communicate their findings effectively. Curiosity, creativity, and attention to detail are also essential qualities for successful research.

5. How can high school research experience benefit a student's future career?

Participating in research as a high school student can provide valuable experience and skills that can benefit a student's future career. It can help them stand out in college applications and demonstrate their passion and dedication to a particular field. It also allows students to gain hands-on experience and develop critical skills that are highly sought after by employers in a variety of industries, including science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.