Hip Replacements and Weather Sensitivity

• B
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the researchers propose that new early dark energy was a significant factor in the current discrepancy between the Hubble constant and estimates from supernovae.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
TL;DR Summary
Why do we have to relearn all we knew in the past to get a best fit scenario?
arXiv:1910.10739 [pdf, other]
New Early Dark Energy
Florian Niedermann, Martin S. Sloth
Comments: 6 pages, 2 figures
Subjects: Cosmology and Nongalactic Astrophysics (astro-ph.CO); High Energy Physics - Phenomenology (hep-ph); High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th)
New measurements of the expansion rate of the universe have plunged the standard model of cosmology into a severe crisis. In this letter we propose a simple resolution to the problem. We propose that a first order phase transition in a dark sector in the early universe, before recombination, can resolve the problem. This will lead to a short phase of a New Early Dark Energy (New EDE) component and can explain the observations. Fitting our model to measurements of the Cosmic Microwave Background, Baryonic Acoustic Oscillations, and supernovae yields a significant improvement of the best fit compared with the standard cosmological model without EDE at the cost of only two extra parameters. We find the mean value of the present Hubble parameter in the New EDE model to be H0=70.9±1.0 kms−1Mpc−1.

What are these new measurments, and why do we reconstruct all we have learned in the past

Space news on Phys.org
What do you mean be reconstruct ?

I'm not educated in cosmology I am an imaginer, and I have by learning up to a point, a picture of the early universe and how it progressed to what we have today. now some one comes along and proposes that "no" this is not correct, we, that is all of us has to use a new theory, dark energy was much more involved.
Dark energy to me is like a see saw, we can add some theory and it balences it, but if we hold to the present theory it unbalences it.
All the best Wolram.

wolram said:
What are these new measurments
In the past couple of years or so, improvements in precision measurements of the Hubble constant began indicating that there's a few percent difference between the values obtained from the CMB and from nearby supernovae. Look for key words 'Hubble tension' and the researcher name Adam Riess* for more information. There's been a few threads on that here too.

*same guy who was spearheading dark energy discovery in the 90s - you want his more recent work.

Thanks Bandersnatch.
I will have a look.

wolram said:
Thanks Bandersnatch.
I will have a look.
How's your injury Wolram? Last I remember you had fallen and injured something.

Hi WWGD,
I ijured my hip, scnce then I have had 2 replacements, both of hurt in this cold and damp weather.:cry:

What is "Reconstructing the Universe"?

"Reconstructing the Universe" refers to the process of piecing together the history and evolution of the universe, from the Big Bang to the present day, using data from various scientific fields such as astronomy, physics, and cosmology.

Why is it important to reconstruct the universe?

Understanding the history and evolution of the universe can provide insights into the fundamental laws of nature and how they have shaped the universe we see today. It also allows us to make predictions about the future of the universe and our place within it.

What methods are used in reconstructing the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods, including observations from telescopes and spacecraft, mathematical models, and experiments, to gather and analyze data about the universe. This data is then used to create theories and models that help us understand the universe's past and present.

What challenges are faced in reconstructing the universe?

One of the main challenges is the vastness and complexity of the universe. It is also difficult to gather data from the early stages of the universe's history, as well as from distant galaxies. Additionally, there are still many unknowns and mysteries about the universe that scientists are working to uncover.

How does reconstructing the universe contribute to our daily lives?

While it may seem like studying the universe has no direct impact on our daily lives, many technologies and advancements in fields such as medicine, communications, and transportation have been made possible through our understanding of the universe. Additionally, studying the universe helps us gain a greater appreciation for the world around us and our place in the cosmos.