Does gravity self interact with itself

In summary, the paper suggests that gravity can be explained without the need for dark matter or dark energy, which is in line with the Standard Model of particle physics and General Relativity. However, I am highly skeptical of the claims and need to do more research before I can say anything more.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I would have thought that this would have been tested before but this paper suggests that it is a new theory.

arXiv:1709.02481 [pdf, other]
A possible explanation for dark matter and dark energy consistent with the Standard Model of particle physics and General Relativity
A. Deur
Comments: 6 pages, 2 figures
Subjects: Cosmology and Nongalactic Astrophysics (astro-ph.CO)

Numerical calculations have shown that the increase of binding energy in massive systems due to gravity's self-interaction can account for galaxy and cluster dynamics without dark matter. Such approach is consistent with General Relativity and the Standard Model of particle physics. The increased binding implies an effective weakening of gravity outside the bound system. In this article, this suppression is modeled in the Universe's evolution equations and its consequence for dark energy is explored. Observations are well reproduced without need for dark energy. The cosmic coincidence appears naturally and the problem of having a de Sitter Universe as the final state of the Universe is eliminated.

Likes stoomart
Space news on Phys.org
The section on comparison with observations seems pretty weak. For the CMB, only the location of the 1st acoustic peak is considered, but really the full temperature power spectrum should be fit under this new model. In particular, the Sachs-Wolfe plateau at low-l is sensitive to dark energy densities and should be determined with the new model.

Thank you bapowell.

bapowell said:
The section on comparison with observations seems pretty weak. For the CMB, only the location of the 1st acoustic peak is considered, but really the full temperature power spectrum should be fit under this new model. In particular, the Sachs-Wolfe plateau at low-l is sensitive to dark energy densities and should be determined with the new model.
Nit: also, it's worth bearing in mind that the plateau itself has pretty low statistical power, due to the large inherent error bars are low-##\ell##. My understanding is that the statistics only become convincing if you correlate this plateau with nearby large-scale-structure.

wolram said:
increased binding implies an effective weakening of gravity outside the bound system

I'm highly skeptical of this claim. The mass of a system, as seen from far away, which corresponds to the "strength of gravity" it causes, does not change if you rearrange its internal components, but it seems like the paper is claiming the opposite.

It does not look like this paper has been published in a peer-reviewed journal, and I'm not sure I would trust it as a source.

For what it's worth, this paper references two others by the same author for its major results. These papers have been published in peer reviewed journals:

https://arxiv.org/abs/0901.4005

https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.05515

The methods are not at all conventional classical GR methods. None of these papers seem to have generated any buzz in the GR or cosmology communities (esp. no cites other than self cites). However, I express no opinion on the merits unless I spend some time studying these.

wolram said:
I would have thought that this would have been tested before but this paper suggests that it is a new theory.
@Janus helped me understand problems with the idea of "galactic binding energy" in another thread.

Edit:
PeterDonis said:
I'm highly skeptical of this claim. The mass of a system, as seen from far away, which corresponds to the "strength of gravity" it causes, does not change if you rearrange its internal components, but it seems like the paper is claiming the opposite.
My understanding from the paper is they aren't claiming the mass changes, but rather the gravitational effect on external objects is decreased/suppressed due to "the trapping of gravity's field":

This mechanism and the trapping of the field with ensuing suppression of the force at large scale are well-known phenomena in QCD, the other self-interacting force that has a strong regime.​

Last edited:
stoomart said:
My understanding from the paper is they aren't claiming the mass changes, but rather the gravitational effect on external objects is decreased/suppressed due to "the trapping of gravity's field"

That doesn't make me any less skeptical. The implied analogy with QCD doesn't look valid to me. The QCD force gets suppressed at large distance scales (the technical term is "asymptotically free") because it's an SU(3) non-Abelian gauge theory with 8 spin-1 gauge bosons, whose renormalization group flow leads to a coupling constant that decreases at higher energies. The obvious way to build a QFT for gravity leads to a spin-2 theory with only one gauge boson, whose structure doesn't look at all the same (the gauge group is basically the group of diffeomorphisms, which isn't even compact), and is not renormalizable to begin with.

1. How does gravity self interact with itself?

Gravity is a fundamental force of the universe that is caused by the curvature of space-time. As objects with mass move through space-time, they create a curvature, which in turn affects the motion of other objects with mass. This interaction between objects with mass is known as gravity.

2. Does gravity only interact with objects with mass?

Yes, gravity only interacts with objects that have mass. This is because mass is what causes the curvature of space-time, which in turn creates the gravitational force.

3. Can gravity have an effect on itself?

Yes, gravity can have an effect on itself. This is because the curvature of space-time created by the gravitational force can also affect the motion of the objects that are creating the curvature. In other words, the gravitational force can be influenced by its own effects.

4. What is the significance of gravity self interaction?

The self interaction of gravity is significant in understanding the behavior of the universe as a whole. It plays a crucial role in the formation of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. The self interaction of gravity also helps to explain the expansion of the universe and the formation of large-scale structures.

5. Are there any theories that explain gravity self interaction?

There are several theories that attempt to explain gravity self interaction, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity and string theory. However, there is still much debate and research being conducted in order to fully understand the nature of gravity and its self interaction.