Hiring Biomedical Engineers as opposed to more traditional Engineers

• Engineering
  • Thread starter joshthekid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biomedical
In summary: If you are interested in medical imaging and medical devices, a Masters in Biomedical Engineering may be a great fit for you. While some people may argue that a more specialized degree in chemical, electrical, or mechanical engineering may be more beneficial, the BME program offers a broad foundation in all of these areas. Additionally, the job outlook for BME is great, with many biotech companies looking to hire engineers with diverse backgrounds and expertise. It may be helpful to research where recent graduates of your program have ended up and potentially network with them for job opportunities. Ultimately, it is important to find a company and position that aligns with your interests and goals, regardless of the specific degree.
joshthekid
I am currently enrolled in a Masters of Engineering program in Biomedical Engineering. My undergraduate degree is in Applied Physics with minors in biomedical engineering and math. I got into BME primarily because I am interested in medical imaging and medical devices not really interested in pharma or tissue engineering and that it has a great job outlook. What I have been hearing from some people though is that BME is such a broad field that actually having a biomedical engineering degree is not necessarily a great thing. That is to say that a lot of biotech companies employ chemical, electrical, and mechanical engineers because they might have more precise knowledge in one area, say like mechanical and materials design. I have been looking into switching over to electrical engineering but I think that it might be a little more challenging then BME because I have undergrad training in that where as I have no electrical experience. I am wondering for those who are in the biotech field what there perception of the hiring market is at a masters level.

Not to say that peoples opinions are not valuable but I am really looking for somebody who is in the industry especially someone on the senior level.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I don't know if this helps, but I think a lot can depend on the specifics of your degree (i.e. the projects you do and the courses that you complete) than the title of the degree. BME is a broad area. Companies that do imaging, for example, will hire engineers for all sorts of different jobs and will need people with expertise in electrical, mechanical, processess, algorithm design, etc. and so when they're recruiting they're likely to consider diverse sets of candidates. The fields then narrow as they look for more specialized expertise.

If you're thinking about transferring, maybe first look at where recent graduates of your program are ending up. Maybe even try to set up an informal interview or job shadow.

Likes Medicol
I can field this one. I've worked in the Medical Device field for ten years, and interviewed a lot of different people with different backgrounds. BME is a degree that is still finding its niche in the world. 5 years ago, I myself said that I would rather hire a MechE than a BME, but I think the BME programs are getting more aligned with with industry is actually doing, and so I'm seeing more value in it than I used to. If you are interested in medical devices, I do not think a Masters in Biomedical Engineering will hurt you. As always, use the connections of your department, through professors, fellow students, and alumni to find out who is hiring from your department, and see if you like what those companies do.

for your question. I can provide a response based on my experience and knowledge in the field of biomedical engineering. First of all, I would like to say that the decision to hire biomedical engineers instead of more traditional engineers depends on the specific needs and requirements of the company or organization. Biomedical engineering is a rapidly growing field, and there is a high demand for professionals with a strong background in both engineering and biology. This is because the development of medical devices and technologies requires a deep understanding of both engineering principles and biological systems.

Having a degree in biomedical engineering can certainly give you an advantage in the job market, especially if you are interested in medical imaging and device development. However, as you mentioned, the field of biomedical engineering is broad and covers a wide range of areas, including pharmaceuticals and tissue engineering. Therefore, it is important for you to identify your specific interests and skills within the field and focus on developing them.

In terms of switching to electrical engineering, it is certainly possible but may require some additional training and coursework. However, having a background in both applied physics and biomedical engineering can also be beneficial for roles that require a combination of these skills.

As for the hiring market at a master's level, it is always evolving and depends on the current needs of the industry. I would suggest networking with professionals in the biotech field and keeping up with industry trends to get a better understanding of the job market.

In conclusion, both biomedical engineers and traditional engineers have important roles in the biotech industry. It is important to focus on developing your skills and interests within the field and staying up-to-date with industry developments to increase your chances of success in the job market. I hope this response has been helpful, and I wish you the best of luck in your career pursuits.

1. What is the difference between a biomedical engineer and a traditional engineer?

Biomedical engineers have specialized knowledge in both engineering and biology, allowing them to apply engineering principles to medical and healthcare-related problems. Traditional engineers, on the other hand, focus on designing and building structures, machines, and systems for various industries.

2. What are the advantages of hiring a biomedical engineer over a traditional engineer?

Biomedical engineers have a unique skill set that combines engineering principles with biological and medical knowledge. This allows them to design and develop innovative medical devices, equipment, and technologies that can improve patient care and outcomes. They also have a deep understanding of the healthcare industry, making them valuable assets in the development of new products and technologies.

3. What industries or fields typically hire biomedical engineers?

Biomedical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical device manufacturing, research and development, and government agencies. They may also work in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, and other healthcare facilities.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that make a biomedical engineer more suitable for certain roles compared to traditional engineers?

Biomedical engineers often have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to integrate engineering principles with biological and medical knowledge. They also have a deep understanding of regulatory and ethical considerations in the healthcare industry, making them well-suited for roles in medical device development and regulatory compliance.

5. What are the future job prospects for biomedical engineers compared to traditional engineers?

The field of biomedical engineering is expected to see significant growth in the coming years, as the demand for healthcare and medical technologies continues to rise. This means that there will likely be more job opportunities for biomedical engineers compared to traditional engineers, especially in the healthcare industry.