History of RA [why is the vernal equinox used?]

In summary, the origins of right ascension (RA) and the selection of the vernal equinox as the starting point are not clearly known. The use of Aries as the starting point for the zodiac and the fact that spring is a time of hope for farmers may have influenced the choice. However, it is also possible that it was chosen arbitrarily. The modern calendar and the concept of Anno Domini were created much later and are not based on any scientific reasoning.
nearc
Gold Member
i failed to find the history of RA [right ascension] and why the vernal equinox was picked as the starting point on the web or in the forums here. does anyone know the origins of RA? picking a solstice or equinox is obvious but why the vernal? maybe because spring in the northern hemisphere inspires hope? if anyone has a real answer i would be most appreciative.

on a side note, i did potentially come across its start date http://www.dictionary.com/browse/right-ascension

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To be honest I am not sure, but which one would you choose? Clearly, as you say, there are four more or less canonical possibilities and you need to select one of them. Had it been any other, you might be here asking the very same question about that one. I suspect you may be looking for an answer where none is to be found other than it just happened to be chosen among the four.

Likes Vanadium 50
nearc said:
why the vernal equinox was picked as the starting
Many years ago, long before I knew anything at all about Astronomy, I did a Marine Navigation course which included some Astro Nav. The First Point of Aries (aka Vernal Equinox) was the origin used for all the calculations. Greenwich Hour Angle was used instead of RA, if I remember right. I guess that that would be a good choice because navigators in both hemispheres would be in a good position to see more common stars during an equinox. That would be good for calibration, (I think?).

Okay. History. The new year on the Roman calendar started on March 15 - the Ides of March. The Sun was just coming into Aries. @sophiecentaur explaining navigation actually gave the answer. Aries is the starting point for the zodiac. Instead of me blabbing:

http://www.schooloftheseasons.com/spring.html
The more modern Julian calendar (the forerunner of our Gregorian calendar) was later changed primarily by Dionysius exiguus, and the New year moved in 525 AD to January 1. Dionysius actually changed the year numbers, and estimated the birth of Christ and the start of the calendar. 500+ years late. The first year in the new improved calendar was 525 AD. He "invented" Anno Domini.

Short answer: it is all made up stuff, except for the actual equinoxes/solstices.

Likes sophiecentaur and Buzz Bloom
nearc said:
i failed to find the history of RA [right ascension] and why the vernal equinox was picked as the starting point on the web or in the forums here. does anyone know the origins of RA? picking a solstice or equinox is obvious but why the vernal? maybe because spring in the northern hemisphere inspires hope? if anyone has a real answer i would be most appreciative.

on a side note, i did potentially come across its start date http://www.dictionary.com/browse/right-ascension

I do not have any facts on this. However, most people who lived on Earth were farmers by profession. Most seeds sprout in the spring and are harvested in the fall. Spring being the starting point is the natural perspective.

Edit:
Hunter/gatherers go back much further than farmers. They would also have a perspective linked to plant life cycles.
Stonehenge predates writing. Not likely to find out what they were thinking in detail.
The Egyptians measured off of Sirius.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
stefan r said:
Spring being the starting point is the natural perspective.
I think that is quite an insightful. It implies that ancient hominids were relieved that winter had actually passed and that they could rely on the annual cycle starting again - the most optimistic part of the year; even more so than the winter solstice.

1. Why is the vernal equinox used in the history of RA?

The vernal equinox, also known as the spring equinox, is used in the history of RA because it marks the beginning of spring in the northern hemisphere. This is an important time for agricultural societies, as it signifies the start of the planting season. RA, the ancient Egyptian god of the sun and agriculture, was closely associated with this time of year and was believed to provide the necessary sunlight and warmth for crops to grow.

2. How was the vernal equinox significant in ancient Egyptian culture?

In ancient Egyptian culture, the vernal equinox was significant for several reasons. It marked the beginning of the new year in their calendar and was also associated with the annual flooding of the Nile River, which brought fertile soil for farming. The alignment of the sun on the vernal equinox was also believed to be connected to the resurrection of the god Osiris, linking the equinox to themes of rebirth and renewal.

3. Was the vernal equinox used in other ancient civilizations besides Egypt?

Yes, the vernal equinox was also used in other ancient civilizations, including the Mayans, Persians, and Greeks. These cultures also associated the equinox with themes of fertility, agriculture, and new beginnings. For example, the Greeks celebrated the festival of Dionysus, the god of wine and vegetation, during the vernal equinox.

4. How did the use of the vernal equinox in the history of RA influence modern-day practices?

Many modern-day practices and traditions, such as Easter and Passover, have their roots in ancient celebrations that were tied to the vernal equinox. The concept of rebirth and renewal during this time of year is still prevalent in many cultures and religions. Additionally, the equinox continues to be an important marker in astronomical and agricultural calendars.

5. Has the vernal equinox always been used in the history of RA?

No, the use of the vernal equinox in the history of RA is specific to ancient Egyptian culture. Other ancient civilizations had their own deities and celebrations associated with the equinox, and the concept of RA did not exist in these cultures. However, the vernal equinox has always been an important astronomical event and has been observed and celebrated by various cultures throughout history.