Basics of Using a Telescope - Locating Stars (RA)

In summary: Table 1: Correspondence between units of RA and angular measureUnit of RAAngular measureRadiansDegreesMinutesSecondsRadians/degreeDegrees/minuteMinutes/secondSeconds/radian
Jimmy87
Hello pf,

I have been trying to grasp the concept of RA. I have read through a few books and I know that it is measured eastwards from the point on the celestial sphere where the Sun crosses the celestial equator at the vernal equinox. I just want to check I understand this correctly. Does it mean when the Sun cross the celestial equator, whatever star happens to be behind the Sun at that point would serve as a RA of zero?

My other query is whenever you look up right ascensions on the internet or a phone app they are always constantly changing (or at least for planets)? Again I tried to research this with little luck but is it because nearby objects e.g. planets appear to not stay at the same point in the sky day to day because the Earth moves around the Sun (which is why a solar day is 4 minutes longer). So a planet would change its right ascension by 4 minutes each day? But a star is so much further away it will be fixed?

Any help is much appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jimmy87 said:
Hello pf,

I have been trying to grasp the concept of RA. I have read through a few books and I know that it is measured eastwards from the point on the celestial sphere where the Sun crosses the celestial equator at the vernal equinox. I just want to check I understand this correctly. Does it mean when the Sun cross the celestial equator, whatever star happens to be behind the Sun at that point would serve as a RA of zero?

Yes.

My other query is whenever you look up right ascensions on the internet or a phone app they are always constantly changing (or at least for planets)? Again I tried to research this with little luck but is it because nearby objects e.g. planets appear to not stay at the same point in the sky day to day because the Earth moves around the Sun (which is why a solar day is 4 minutes longer).

Yes, but also because the planets themselves are moving around the sun.

So a planet would change its right ascension by 4 minutes each day?

No, because the planet itself is also moving.

But a star is so much further away it will be fixed?

Yes, approximately. But the RA of stars also change slowly for two reasons. First, the precession of the Earth's axis causes the coordinate system to rotate slowly, causing RA's to change on the order of 1 degree per century. Second, nearby stars do move slowly because they are not infinitely far away. This is called proper motion, and is typically on the order of seconds of arc per year.

Likes Jimmy87 and |Glitch|
phyzguy said:
Yes.
Yes, but also because the planets themselves are moving around the sun.
No, because the planet itself is also moving.
Yes, approximately. But the RA of stars also change slowly for two reasons. First, the precession of the Earth's axis causes the coordinate system to rotate slowly, causing RA's to change on the order of 1 degree per century. Second, nearby stars do move slowly because they are not infinitely far away. This is called proper motion, and is typically on the order of seconds of arc per year.
Thank you for your help it is much appreciated. When RA is quoted it is given in units of time because 360 degrees is treated as 24 hours. Are these units of time the same as arc units (e.g. is one hour of RA one arc hour) or are these units for RA different to units of arc?

Jimmy87 said:
Thank you for your help it is much appreciated. When RA is quoted it is given in units of time because 360 degrees is treated as 24 hours. Are these units of time the same as arc units (e.g. is one hour of RA one arc hour) or are these units for RA different to units of arc?
It can be very confusing. One hour of RA is 15 degrees. This is not too bad. But one minute of RA is different from one minute of arc, and one second of RA is different from one second of arc. Attached is a brief description that I wrote for a class I taught a couple of years ago. Table 1 gives the correspondence between units of RA and angular measure.

Attachments

• coords.pdf
    404.8 KB · Views: 355
Likes Jimmy87

1. How do I locate stars using a telescope?

To locate stars using a telescope, you will first need to set up your telescope and align it to the night sky. Then, use the telescope's mount or motorized controls to adjust the altitude and azimuth to point the telescope towards the desired star. Finally, use the telescope's finder scope or a star chart to help you locate the star in the telescope's field of view.

2. What is RA and why is it important for locating stars?

RA stands for Right Ascension and is a coordinate system used to measure the east-west position of objects in the sky. It is important for locating stars because it allows astronomers to pinpoint the exact location of a star in the sky, making it easier to locate with a telescope.

3. How do I convert RA coordinates to degrees?

To convert RA coordinates to degrees, you will need to know the conversion rate for your specific telescope. This can usually be found in the telescope's manual or online. Once you have the conversion rate, simply multiply the RA coordinates by the conversion rate to get the equivalent degree measurement.

4. What are common mistakes when locating stars using RA?

Common mistakes when locating stars using RA include not properly aligning the telescope to the night sky, not using the correct conversion rate for RA coordinates, and not taking into account the telescope's field of view. It is important to carefully set up and align the telescope and double check all RA coordinates and conversion rates to ensure accurate star locating.

5. How can I improve my skills in locating stars using RA?

To improve your skills in locating stars using RA, practice is key. Spend time familiarizing yourself with your telescope and its controls, as well as learning how to read star charts and use a finder scope. You can also attend star-gazing events or join an astronomy club to learn from experienced telescope users. Additionally, there are many online resources and apps available that can help you improve your skills in locating stars using RA.