Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program and its accreditation status from CAMPEP. The participant is unsure about the accreditation and its impact on future residents. They suggest contacting the program for more information and mention the importance of completing a CAMPEP-accredited residency for certification by the American Board of Radiology. The program has a partnership with LIJ hospital, but it is also not accredited.
jimbob123
Are there any thoughts about the Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program from current or other prospective students. I don't think they are Campep accredited yet. What does that mean for any graduates. Would I be able to get into a residency afterwards?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know anything specifically about the Hofstra program, but I would think many residencies would prefer students from CAMPEP-accredited programs (all else being equal).

You could contact them and ask whether or not they are currently actively pursuing accreditation. They may become accredited during your time there. The mission statement for their program claims that they are hoping to become certified but that is not very specific.

It's good to consider these things, as you will be required to complete a CAMPEP-accredited medical physics residency in order to be eligible for certification by the American Board of Radiology.

thanks for your input. I agree it is important to consider the approval. that is one of my main concerns about the program. It is fairly new (fist year I think) and I am curious about the logistics if it can become Campep accredited quickly. Hoping to become accredited and actually being credited are very different.

The program has linkage to the LIJ hospital but I do not think it has and accredited residency either so it does not help.

Related to Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program

1. What is the Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program?

The Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program is a graduate degree program offered by Hofstra University in New York. It prepares students for careers in the field of medical physics, which involves the application of physics principles and techniques to diagnose and treat diseases in a clinical setting.

2. What are the admission requirements for the Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program?

To be considered for admission to the Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics, engineering, or biology. They must also have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and submit GRE scores. Additionally, applicants must have completed specific prerequisite courses in physics, calculus, and biology.

3. What courses are offered in the Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program?

The Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program offers a variety of courses in both physics and medical physics. These include topics such as radiation therapy, medical imaging, radiation safety, and dosimetry. Students will also have the opportunity to complete a clinical practicum in a medical physics facility.

4. Is the Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program accredited?

Yes, the Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs (CAMPEP). This ensures that the program meets the high standards set for education and training in medical physics.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program?

Graduates of the Hofstra Graduate Medical Physics Program are well-prepared for careers in medical physics, which can include roles such as radiation therapy physicist, diagnostic imaging physicist, or radiation safety officer. They may also choose to pursue further education and training in the field, such as a residency or fellowship program.