Hollow iron spherical shell submerged in water, find the inner diameter

In summary, we need to find the inner diameter of a hollow spherical iron shell that is floating in water. The outer diameter is 66.0 cm and the density of iron is 7.87 g/cm3. Using the buoyancy equation, we can calculate the mass of the sphere and determine the volume of iron comprising the shell. Then, using the density of iron and the volume of displaced water, we can set up an equation to solve for the volume of the hollow portion of the shell. Finally, with the help of symbolic calculations, we can solve for the inner diameter, which is found to be 63.1 cm.
tigers4

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical iron shell floats almost completely submerged in water. The outer diameter is 66.0 cm, and the density of iron is 7.87 g/cm3. Find the inner diameter.

Homework Equations

Fb=MG
4/3pir^3=Vsphere

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to begin, I am guessing volume of sphere submerged=V displaced water, but if a certain amount of space in the sphere is massless, how do you calculate the inner diameter? I don't see the connection I guess

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the mass of the sphere (use buoyancy).

If the sphere was solid iron what would its mass be?

mass of the sphere=dv
d=7.87 g/cm^3
v= 4/3pir^3
mass=1184691.197g if solid sphere
Fb=(1000kg/m^3)*(150532cm^3)(9.8m/s)

What is the actual mass of the sphere as determined via the buoyancy?

What spherical volume of iron do you have to subtract from the larger solid sphere in order to achieve the actual mass of the spherical shell?

Fb=1475.2136N/9.8=actual mass of sphere
mass of sphere=150.532
mass whole iron sphere-mass of actual sphere=mass of inner sphere=1184540.665
7.87=1184540.665/V
rinner=32.998 cm
but that's incorrect, where is my error?

Remember that they want the diameter of the inner hollow, not the radius.

wow lol, thank you for all the help you are a life saver.

it says that my answer is incorrect, I multiplied 32.998 by 2 and got 65.996, but its not correct

tigers4 said:
it says that my answer is incorrect, I multiplied 32.998 by 2 and got 65.996, but its not correct

There's probably some difficulty with rounding and significant figures through the calculations. This can happen when results depend upon small differences between large numbers, and constants with too few significant figures, like taking g = 9.8 (two figures), or pi = 3.14 through the calculations.

In this case it might be best to carry out all the operations symbolically right up to the end. A lot of the constants and calculations will cancel out.

Suppose we let v1 be the volume of iron comprising the shell, vs be the overall volume of the spherical shell, and vh be the volume of the hollow. Then

[tex]v_s = \frac{4}{3} \pi (r_s)^3 [/tex]

[tex]v_h = \frac{4}{3} \pi (r_h)^3 [/tex]

[tex]v1 = v_s - v_h [/tex]

Now, v1 is also determined by the density of iron and the mass of the iron shell as determined by the volume of displaced water.

[tex]m_s = v_s \rho_w[/tex]

[tex]v1 = m_s/\rho_{Fe}[/tex] Volume of iron comprising the shell

[tex]v1 = v_s \frac{\rho_w}{\rho_{Fe}} [/tex]

So now, putting the parts together,

[tex]v_s \frac{\rho_w}{\rho_{Fe}} = v_s - v_h [/tex]

Divide through by vs to yield

[tex]\frac{\rho_w}{\rho_{Fe}} = 1 - v_h/v_s [/tex]

Note that we still haven't used g, and it looks like the constants in the volume calculations for vs and vh are in a position to cancel out. Can you carry on from here to solve for the radius (and then diameter)?

yes everything looks good, the diameter is 63.1 cm

1. What is the purpose of finding the inner diameter of a hollow iron spherical shell submerged in water?

The inner diameter of a hollow iron spherical shell submerged in water is important for determining the volume and surface area of the shell, which can be useful in various engineering and construction applications.

2. How can the inner diameter of a hollow iron spherical shell be measured?

The inner diameter of a hollow iron spherical shell can be measured using a variety of methods, including using a caliper, a ruler, or mathematical formulas based on the outer diameter and thickness of the shell.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of finding the inner diameter of a hollow iron spherical shell submerged in water?

The accuracy of finding the inner diameter of a hollow iron spherical shell submerged in water can be affected by factors such as the precision of the measurement tools, the density and temperature of the water, and the shape and condition of the shell itself.

4. What is the relationship between the inner diameter and volume of a hollow iron spherical shell submerged in water?

The inner diameter and volume of a hollow iron spherical shell submerged in water are directly related, meaning that as the inner diameter increases, the volume also increases. This relationship can be described by the formula for the volume of a sphere: V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the inner diameter.

5. How can the inner diameter of a hollow iron spherical shell submerged in water be used in real-world applications?

The inner diameter of a hollow iron spherical shell submerged in water can be used in various real-world applications such as designing and constructing underwater structures, calculating the buoyancy and weight distribution of ships and submarines, and determining the capacity of water tanks and storage vessels.