Holographic principle versus no-cloning

In summary, the holographic principle for black holes states that the information of a particle falling into a black hole is encoded on the event horizon, but according to General Relativity, the particle will not notice a change when passing the event horizon. This would suggest that the information is in two places, contradicting the no-cloning rule of quantum mechanics. However, this is not considered cloning as the particle is simply in different locations at different times. This was discussed in a previous PF thread.
nomadreid
Gold Member
If I understand the holographic principle for black holes correctly (which is highly unlikely, but this is a start), the information of a particle falling into a black hole is encoded on the event horizon. But from the view of General Relativity, the particle will not notice a change upon passing the event horizon. Therefore, the information will be in two places: on the event horizon and in the interior of the black hole, which would contradict the no-cloning rule of quantum mechanics, no? Obviously there is a basic confusion on my part which I would be grateful for someone to clear up.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is not just confusion on your part. There was a PF thread related to this less than a year ago.

I don't see a contradiction. There is no one observer that can see both expressions of the particle or object at the same time.
A single electron can be moved about in a CRT and it isn't cloning because its just one electron - just different places at different times. The same with an electron crossing an event horizon. The view from the reference frame that sees the event horizon will be of a particular moment in the electrons path. The view from the "other side" of the event horizon will be a more typical view of the electron movement - occurring across a longer period of time.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, .Scott. That seems to make sense. By the way, I searched for the other thread to which you refer: apparently my search capabilities were not up to the task. If you remember where that thread was, could you forward me the link? I would be grateful.

1. What is the holographic principle?

The holographic principle is a theory in physics that suggests that all the information contained within a certain region of space can be represented by information on the boundary of that region. This means that the three-dimensional information within a space can be represented by two-dimensional information on its boundary, similar to how a hologram works.

2. What is the no-cloning theorem?

The no-cloning theorem states that it is impossible to create an exact copy of an unknown quantum state. This means that it is not possible to duplicate an unknown quantum state without disturbing its original state.

3. How are the holographic principle and no-cloning related?

The holographic principle and no-cloning are related in that they both deal with the preservation of information. The holographic principle suggests that information is preserved on the boundary of a region, while the no-cloning theorem states that it is impossible to create an exact copy of an unknown quantum state. Both of these concepts challenge our traditional understanding of information and its preservation.

4. What are the implications of the holographic principle and no-cloning for quantum computing?

The holographic principle and no-cloning have significant implications for quantum computing. The holographic principle suggests that the amount of information that can be processed in a certain space is limited, which could impact the potential power of quantum computers. Additionally, the no-cloning theorem poses a challenge for quantum computing as it limits the ability to copy and manipulate quantum states.

5. Is there any evidence to support the holographic principle and no-cloning?

There is some evidence to support the holographic principle and no-cloning, but it is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. Some theories in quantum gravity, such as string theory, support the holographic principle, and experiments have shown that the no-cloning theorem holds true in quantum systems. However, more research is needed to fully understand and confirm these concepts.