Home work with set builder notation

In summary, the given set can be written in set builder notation as {2, 5, 10, 17} or as {n | n\in\{2, 5, 10, 17\}}. However, it is not necessary to use set builder notation for such a small set. The tricky part is figuring out a useful condition, but one possibility could be {x | x in Z+ where x is prime and x <= 11}. Other answers, such as \{n | (n-2)(n-5)(n-10)(n-17)=0\} or \{n^2+1 | 1\le n\le4\} are equally valid
kkp
Ok, I am needing help turning (2, 5, 10, 17) into set builder notation. I know to get these you add odd numbers 3, 5, 7 but I can't wrap my mind around putting this into notation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In other words, you are looking for a formula. Check for a changing difference between consecutive terms.

It's pretty pointless to use set builder notation for such a small set. (Homework always seems that way, doesn't it?)

Keep in mind that set builder notation is of the form

{expression | for <variable(s)> in {a bigger set} such that <condition>}

Here, you're working with integers, so the "bigger set" is going to be Z or Z+ or something.

The tricky part is figuring out a useful condition. For example, if your set was {2, 3, 5, 7, 11}, you could have said: {x | x in Z+ where x is prime and x <= 11}.

This question is silly. Here are some equally silly answers.

[tex]\{n | n\in\{2, 5, 10, 17\}\}[/tex]
[tex]\{n | (n-2)(n-5)(n-10)(n-17)=0\}[/tex]
[tex]\{n^2+1 | 1\le n\le4\}[/tex]

The polynomial in the second answer can be rewritten as n^4 - 34n^3 + 369n^2 - 1460n + 1700, if you prefer.

Last edited:
How exactly to convert this into set builder notation, not sure; but I did some checking on the sequence of numbers.

The first term is obviously just 2.
After that, the next terms conform to 2 plus the sumation as index goes from 2 to i of three plus two times the expression (n-2);

In other words, I'm saying from the second term onward, the term is
2 + summation from 2 to i of (3 + 2(n-2)).

Some variation from that pattern might be possible (not sure) after n=4, since we might not be sure if only four terms as originally given were enough to build the pattern.

What is set builder notation?

Set builder notation is a mathematical notation used to describe a set by listing its elements or by specifying the properties that the elements must satisfy. It is written as {x | P(x)}, where x represents the elements of the set and P(x) represents the property that the elements must satisfy.

How is set builder notation used in homework?

Set builder notation is commonly used in homework to represent a set of numbers or objects that satisfy a particular condition. It allows for a concise and precise way of defining a set, making it easier to solve problems and perform mathematical operations.

What are the advantages of using set builder notation in homework?

Set builder notation allows for a compact and efficient way of representing sets, making it easier to understand and work with them. It also allows for the use of logical expressions and symbols to describe sets, making it a powerful tool in mathematics.

How do I read and interpret set builder notation?

To read set builder notation, you start with the opening curly brace, followed by the variable or element being described, a vertical bar, and the condition or property that the elements must satisfy. For example, {x | x is an even number} would be read as "the set of all x such that x is an even number."

Can set builder notation be used for infinite sets?

Yes, set builder notation can be used for infinite sets. For example, the set of all natural numbers can be written as {x | x is a natural number}. It can also be used to represent intervals or ranges of numbers, such as {x | 0 ≤ x ≤ 10} for the numbers between 0 and 10 inclusive.