Homework Answer Key Possibly Incorrect - Physics/Calculus

• Thread starter tfordman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the student suspects that the homework engine may be incorrect due to a mistake in integration and attempts to solve the problem unsuccessfully using calculus rules.
tfordman
Edit: Please see first reply!

Hey all! I'm doing my physics homework (online) and think I may have run into an issue. I suspect that the key by which the homework engine grades the problems may be incorrect.

Now - I realize this is the Calculus+ section of the Homework section, but my question pertains principally to the calculus aspect of the question; thus I am posting here. This is also my first post, so please do correct me if I'm wrong in deciding to post my question here! I've also never heard of, much less used, LaTeX before, so forgive me if the formatting looks ugly. It certainly looks a lot better than a question littered with ^, /, and the like, though.

1. Homework Statement

Now, this is a pretty simple problem in which you are to find the potential energy given the force vector. To do this you must integrate the force vector to obtain the potential energy (as PE = U = ##\int F_x dx##).

The force vector/integrand in this case is ##-A x + B x^6 ##.

It's also stated that U = 0 at x = 0. It should also be noted that A and B are constants.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure there are any relevant equations which are worth writing out here (i.e. rules of integration); however, I could possibly be missing a rather basic integration rule here (or rather, simply forgot one).

The Attempt at a Solution

My first course of action was to split the integral into two separate integrals:
##\int -A x + B x^6 dx ## = ##\int -A x dx ## + ##\int B x^6 dx ##

Next, I brought the constants out from the integrals:
##-A \int x dx ## + ##B \int x^6 dx ##

Integrating as usual, I found the answer to be:

U(x) = ##\frac{-A x^2} {2} ## + ##\frac{B x^7} {7} ## ##+C ##

Since U = 0 when x = 0 as stated, C is easily calculated to = 0 and thus can be omitted from the final answer.
However, the homework engine will not accept this as a valid solution! Instead, it accepts only:

U(x) = ##\frac {A x^2} {2} ## - ##\frac {B x^7} {7} ##

Have I made a fundamental error in my integration? I feel like accusing the online homework key of being wrong is akin to scholastic blasphemy, but I want to know if I am missing something in my own knowledge.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question!
-T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, I have discovered my error. It's not with the calculus; rather, I simply forgot that Fx = ##-\frac{dU} {dx} ##. I forgot to apply the minus sign after integrating! :rolleyes: I'm not sure how to delete a thread so I figured I'd post here. I suppose this belongs in the Physics section after all! :wink:

Likes Bystander
Good catch --- .

1. How can I tell if the homework answer key is incorrect?

The best way to determine if the homework answer key is incorrect is to double check your work and compare it to the answer key. If you notice any discrepancies or errors, it is likely that the answer key is incorrect. Another way to tell is to consult with your teacher or professor and ask for clarification on a specific problem that you believe may be incorrect.

2. What should I do if I find an error in the homework answer key?

If you believe you have found an error in the homework answer key, it is important to bring it to the attention of your teacher or professor. They will be able to review the problem and make any necessary corrections. It is also a good idea to keep track of any errors you find and bring them to your teacher's attention periodically to ensure the accuracy of the answer key.

3. Why is it important to have an accurate homework answer key?

An accurate homework answer key is important because it allows students to check their work and make sure they understand the material correctly. It also allows teachers to assess their students' understanding of the material and identify any areas that may need further clarification. Additionally, an accurate answer key ensures that students are practicing and learning the correct concepts, which is crucial for success in future courses.

4. How can I avoid relying too heavily on the homework answer key?

To avoid relying too heavily on the homework answer key, it is important to make sure you understand the concepts and can solve the problems on your own before checking the answer key. You can also try working on the problems with a study group or seeking help from your teacher or tutor. It is also helpful to set a time limit for how long you can use the answer key for each problem, and if you still can't solve it, seek assistance.

5. Can I trust all homework answer keys to be 100% accurate?

While most homework answer keys are created and reviewed by experienced educators, there is always a chance for errors or discrepancies. It is important to remember that answer keys are meant to be a helpful tool, but they should not be solely relied upon. It is always a good idea to double check your work and consult with your teacher or professor if you have any doubts about the accuracy of the answer key.