Homework help: Dropping a sand bag from a Hot Air Balloon

Clockclocle
Homework Statement
Suppose an air baloon keep raising with constant velocity v0, at time t=0 the sand bag attached to it drop at rest.
Relevant Equations
y=vo-1/2gt^2
In this situation should my free fall equation contain the v0 of the baloon or I should deny it. Because it seems to me that there is no outer force acts on the sandbag, so the scenario is just the same as I climb to the same height at time t=0 and drop the sandbag at rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clockclocle said:
so the scenario is just the same as I climb to the same height at time t=0 and drop the sandbag at rest.
What if the balloon is rising at the speed of a rifle bullet? You are riding on the balloon holding the sandbag in your hand and let it go.

Likes Clockclocle
I see the mistake, I thought that it gonna fall below me so it would be the same when I stand still. But in this case I keep moving with velocity v0.

Likes jbriggs444
Clockclocle said:
##\dots## so the scenario is just the same as I climb to the same height at time t=0 and drop the sandbag at rest.
The acceleration is the same not the scenario. In the first case the velocity of the bag relative to the ground is the same as that of the balloon whilst in the second case it is zero. Different initial velocities mean different free fall trajectories.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes MatinSAR and Delta2

1. How does dropping a sand bag affect the altitude of a hot air balloon?

When a sand bag is dropped from a hot air balloon, the weight of the balloon decreases, causing it to ascend. This is because the total weight of the balloon and its contents is now less than the amount of displaced air it can lift, resulting in an increase in altitude.

2. What factors determine how much the hot air balloon will ascend when a sand bag is dropped?

The amount of ascent of a hot air balloon when a sand bag is dropped depends on the weight of the sand bag, the weight of the balloon and its contents, the volume of hot air in the balloon, and the rate of air displacement by the balloon.

3. Will dropping multiple sand bags result in a proportional increase in altitude?

While dropping multiple sand bags will cause the hot air balloon to ascend, the increase in altitude may not be directly proportional to the number of sand bags dropped. This is because the weight of the balloon and its contents will continue to decrease with each sand bag dropped, affecting the rate of ascent.

4. Can dropping a sand bag from a hot air balloon be used as a method to control altitude?

Yes, dropping a sand bag from a hot air balloon can be used as a method to control altitude. By strategically dropping sand bags, the pilot can adjust the weight of the balloon to ascend or descend as needed.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when dropping a sand bag from a hot air balloon?

When dropping a sand bag from a hot air balloon, it is important to ensure that the sand bag is securely fastened to prevent it from hitting the balloon or passengers. Additionally, the pilot should communicate with the passengers about the planned drop to avoid any surprises or concerns.