How Do I Calculate the Angle Between Vectors in Vector Projection Problems?

In summary, the student is struggling with finding the angle between two vectors, F and v, in the xy plane. They are using the projection formula and trying to find the unit vector for F and v. However, they are confused about which vectors to use and the angle they are obtaining is incorrect. The expert suggests using a shortcut method by recognizing that F, v, and the z component of F form a right triangle, allowing the angle to be found using the sine function. The correct angle is found to be 34.4 degrees.
wicked1977

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a/Yq8pW

Homework Equations

projection u onto v: ((u x v)/(||v||^2)) x v
Unit vector: u/||u||

The Attempt at a Solution

For number 2, I absolutely do not know how to set up the problem. I do not know what vectors to use, I assumed F vector to be <0.00375, 0.00625> and v vector to be <3 , 5> and plug them into the projection formula- projection u onto v: ((u x v)/(||v||^2)) x v-but that seems wrong since the teacher addressed that I find the vector of V, magnitude of vector V, and find unit vector so it should be <3, 5>/(sqrt 34) but how do I find the angle off of that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know about the vector dot product and what it represents?

jedishrfu said:
Do you know about the vector dot product and what it represents?

I can find the angle between the vectors. Yes? But what I am confused about is what vectors to use.

You have F in i,j,k form and you should have v in i,j,k form.

Likes wicked1977
jedishrfu said:
You have F in i,j,k form and you should have v in i,j,k form.

I think I got it! Except that the question states that the vector V is in the xy plane:
cos^-1((<3 , 5> x <0.00375 , 0.00625>)/(sqrt34 x sqrt 50))=89.94

Vector F=<3,5,4>/sqrt(3^2 + 5^2 + 4^2) * 800

so the unit vector for F is: Funit=<3,5,4> / sqrt(3^2 + 5^2 + 4^2) = <3,5,4> / (5*sqrt(2))

and unit vector Vunit = <3,5,0> / sqrt(3^2 + 5^2 + 0^2) = <3,5,0> / sqrt(34)

Funit . Vunit = (3^2 + 5^2 + 0*4) / (5*sqrt(2)*sqrt(34))

I didn't get 89.94 degrees for the angle.

Likes wicked1977
jedishrfu said:
Vector F=<3,5,4>/sqrt(3^2 + 5^2 + 4^2) * 800

so the unit vector for F is: Funit=<3,5,4> / sqrt(3^2 + 5^2 + 4^2) = <3,5,4> / (5*sqrt(2))

and unit vector Vunit = <3,5,0> / sqrt(3^2 + 5^2 + 0^2) = <3,5,0> / sqrt(34)

Funit . Vunit = (3^2 + 5^2 + 0*4) / (5*sqrt(2)*sqrt(34))

I didn't get 89.94 degrees for the angle.

Did not realize I had to multiply my F vector by 800. And based on your solution, the angle is found to be 34.4. Thanks much!

In this case, there was a shortcut way too. If you notice that F, v and the 4k z component of F form a right triangle with F as the hypotenuse so that the sin of the angle must be 4/magnitude(F) = 4/sqrt(50) and hence its 34.4 degrees.

What are vectors and how are they used in homework help?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities. In homework help, vectors are used to solve problems involving displacement, velocity, acceleration, and force.

How do I add and subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you first need to break them down into their components (x and y for 2D vectors, x, y, and z for 3D vectors). Then, add or subtract the corresponding components to get the resultant vector. You can also use graphical methods, such as the head-to-tail method, to add or subtract vectors.

Can vectors be multiplied or divided?

Vectors can be multiplied or divided by a scalar (a single number). This results in a new vector with the same direction as the original but with a different magnitude. Vector multiplication can also be done using the dot product or cross product, which result in a scalar or vector, respectively.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. This means that a vector can be represented by an arrow or line with a specific length and direction, whereas a scalar is represented by a single number.

How can I use vectors to solve real-world problems?

Vectors are used in many real-world applications, such as navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, they can be used to calculate the displacement and velocity of a moving object, or to determine the force needed to move an object in a certain direction. Understanding how to use vectors can help you solve a variety of real-world problems.