Trigonometric ratios of angles above 90 degrees

In summary, if you want to find sin(x+y) without needing reference angles, you can use the unit circle and identities like sin(A) = sin(-A) or sin(A) = sin(A – 180º).
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
##\sin 235##
Relevant Equations
##\sin 135##
I have been doing the resolutions of vectors on x and y-axis with making triangles and reference angles in all quadrants. But I want to calculate now how to find something like ##\sin 235## without the help of reference angles. I know we don’t need to. Calculator and Taylor theorem is handy here but I want to calculate using unit circles.
Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are doing vector resolution you should have studied trigonometry. The trigonometric functions have what are called identities (of which there are many) which show how these functions are related to one another. For sine then the sin(x+y) = sin(x)cos(y) +cos(x)sin(y). 135° = 90° + 45° and 235° = 180° +45°. Of course you know sin(90°) and you need to know the sin(180°) to which I refer you to this https://byjus.com/maths/trigonometric-identities/ for more relations and identities.

You mentioned Taylors Theorem, so you know Calculus? If so, you had a precalculus course? If not and you are studying even non calculus physics, it is mandatory to know trigonometry.

rudransh verma said:
But I want to calculate now how to find something like ##\sin 235## without the help of reference angles. ... I want to calculate using unit circles
The unit circle is used in conjunction with reference angles. You can't have your cake and eat it!

If you don’t want to use reference angles, you can use identities:
sin(A) = -sin(-A)
sin(A) = -sin(A – 180º) (assuming A is in degrees)
sin(A) = sin(A – 360º) (assuming A is in degrees)

E.g. Using the above identities gives:
sin(235º) = -sin(235º – 180º) = -sin(55º) (then a calculator is needed)
sin(135º) = -sin(135º – 180º) = -sin(-45º) = sin(45º) (standard value)
sin(300º) = sin(300º – 360º) = sin(-60º) = -sin(60º) (standard value)

See if you find the equivalent identities for cos and tan.

Also, note that values of angles given with no units are usually taken to be in radians
"sin 235" would generally be taken to mean sin (235 radians). If the angle is meant to be in degrees, write "sin(235º)".

• Informative
Likes rudransh verma and Mark44
rudransh verma said:
Calculator and Taylor theorem is handy here but I want to calculate using unit circles.
What form of "calculation" are you talking about? Many (most?) calls to the trig functions in the software will allow large angles already and (I assume) the standard trig functions reduce large angles to the reference angles as the first step. So you don't have to worry about it if you are calling standard utility trig functions.

Is this what you are after?

If [itex] \theta [/itex] is the counterclockwise angle from the positive-x axis,
then a vector [itex] \vec V [/itex] has components
[itex] V_x=\left|\vec V\right|\cos\theta [/itex]
[itex] V_y=\left|\vec V\right|\sin\theta [/itex],
without having to ask which quadrant is the tip of [itex] \vec V [/itex] is in,
and then building a right-triangle in that quadrant to work with acute angles.

Steve4Physics said:
The unit circle is used in conjunction with reference angles. You can't have your cake and eat it!

If you don’t want to use reference angles, you can use identities:
sin(A) = -sin(-A)
sin(A) = -sin(A – 180º) (assuming A is in degrees)
sin(A) = sin(A – 360º) (assuming A is in degrees)

E.g. Using the above identities gives:
sin(235º) = -sin(235º – 180º) = -sin(55º) (then a calculator is needed)
sin(135º) = -sin(135º – 180º) = -sin(-45º) = sin(45º) (standard value)
sin(300º) = sin(300º – 360º) = sin(-60º) = -sin(60º) (standard value)
Yaa you are right . I do need a calculator eventually in many cases.
Also I didn’t knew what I was doing when finding components using reference angles. So I was using unit circles too in that. Right! By putting + and - signs to which quadrant they are in. Thanks

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What are the trigonometric ratios of angles above 90 degrees?

The trigonometric ratios of angles above 90 degrees are sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios can also be expressed as cosecant, secant, and cotangent, respectively.

2. How do you find the values of trigonometric ratios for angles above 90 degrees?

To find the values of trigonometric ratios for angles above 90 degrees, you can use the unit circle or a calculator. The unit circle method involves finding the corresponding reference angle and using the ratios for that angle. With a calculator, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the ratios for the given angle.

3. Can the trigonometric ratios of angles above 90 degrees be negative?

Yes, the trigonometric ratios of angles above 90 degrees can be negative. This depends on the quadrant in which the angle lies. In the second and third quadrants, sine and tangent are negative, while in the third and fourth quadrants, cosine and cotangent are negative.

4. What is the relationship between the trigonometric ratios of angles above 90 degrees and those below 90 degrees?

The trigonometric ratios of angles above 90 degrees are the reciprocals of the ratios for angles below 90 degrees. For example, the sine of an angle above 90 degrees is equal to the reciprocal of the cosine of the corresponding reference angle below 90 degrees.

5. How are the trigonometric ratios of angles above 90 degrees used in real-life applications?

The trigonometric ratios of angles above 90 degrees are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They can be used to calculate the height of tall structures, the trajectory of projectiles, and the position of objects in space. They are also used in surveying and map-making to determine distances and angles.