Homework Problem Using the Universal Gravitation Equation

In summary, the problem the user is having is that they do not know how to rearrange the equation and solve for the unknowns.
jackplaysgames
Homework Statement
You are on a deep space mission to search for Earth-like planets. Your crew locates a possible planet and with scanners find the radius to be 7.5 x 106m. they land and hang a 1.0 kg mass from a spring scale. It reads 8.5 N.

a) Determine the mass of the planet using Newton’s Law of Universal Gravitation.

b) Describe whether an astronaut standing on this new planet weighs more, less, or the same as on Earth. Show your work.
Relevant Equations
F= Gm1m2/d2
For question A, I know that I am supposed to input the numbers given into the Universal Gravitation Equation, but I do not know how to solve for it beyond that.

For question B, I know that the astronauts weight depends on the mass and gravity of the new planet but I do not know how to prove it mathematically.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
jackplaysgames said:
For question A, I know that I am supposed to input the numbers given into the Universal Gravitation Equation, but I do not know how to solve for it beyond that.
What confuses you about using the Universal gravitation equation? It looks like you have all data required to find the mass of the planet. Don't you? Could you describe your precise problem/doubt about it?

jackplaysgames said:
For question B, I know that the astronaut's weight depends on the mass and gravity of the new planet but I do not know how to prove it mathematically.
The problem asks you to see whether the astronaut weighs more, less or the same on this planet as on earth. The weight ##W## of an object with mass ##m## depends on the gravitational acceleration ##g## to which its subject. Does ##g## changes depending on the planet you're in? If yes, how?

greg_rack said:
What confuses you about using the Universal gravitation equation? It looks like you have all data required to find the mass of the planet. Don't you? Could you describe your precise problem/doubt about it?The problem asks you to see whether the astronaut weighs more, less or the same on this planet as on earth. The weight ##W## of an object with mass ##m## depends on the gravitational acceleration ##g## to which its subject. Does ##g## changes depending on the planet you're in? If yes, how?

For the equation part:
The equation is f = Gm1m2/d^2

I know that G = (6.67×10−11Nm^2/kg^2)
f = 8.5N
d^2 = 7.5 x 10^6 m

The problem I am having is that I do not know how to rearrange the equation and solve for m1 or m2.And I understand part b now, thank you!

jackplaysgames said:
The problem I am having is that I do not know how to rearrange the equation and solve for m1 or m2.
You know the mass of the object to be 1.0kg, it's just a first-degree equation with one unknown now:
$$F=G\frac{m\cdot M}{d^2} \rightarrow 8.5N=G\frac{1.0kg\cdot M}{(7.5e6)^2}$$

jackplaysgames said:
And I understand part b now, thank you!
No worries!

Likes jackplaysgames
greg_rack said:
You know the mass of the object to be 1.0kg, it's just a first-degree equation with one unknown now:
$$F=G\frac{m\cdot M}{d^2} \rightarrow 8.5N=G\frac{1.0kg\cdot M}{(7.5e6)^2}$$No worries!
I got it now, thank you for the help!

jackplaysgames said:
I got it now, thank you for the help!
You're welcome!

1. How do I use the Universal Gravitation Equation to solve a homework problem?

To use the Universal Gravitation Equation, you will need to know the mass of the two objects (m1 and m2), the distance between them (r), and the gravitational constant (G). Once you have these values, you can plug them into the equation (F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2) and solve for the force of gravity between the two objects.

2. What is the gravitational constant and how do I find its value?

The gravitational constant (G) is a universal constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2. You can find its value in your textbook or online, or it may be given to you in the homework problem.

3. Can the Universal Gravitation Equation be used for any two objects?

Yes, the Universal Gravitation Equation can be used to calculate the force of gravity between any two objects, as long as you have the necessary information (masses and distance) and use the correct units (kilograms, meters, and Newtons).

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity decreases. So, if the distance between two objects doubles, the force of gravity decreases by a factor of four.

5. Can the Universal Gravitation Equation be used to calculate the force of gravity between objects on Earth?

Yes, the Universal Gravitation Equation can be used to calculate the force of gravity between objects on Earth, as long as you use the mass and distance of the objects from the center of the Earth. However, for objects on or near the Earth's surface, it is more common to use the equation F = mg (where g is the acceleration due to gravity) to calculate the force of gravity.