Homework question using the chain rule -- oil slick spreading on the sea....

I'm done. In summary, the problem involves a circular oil slick with a constant thickness throughout its surface. Oil is supplied to the spot at a rate of 5m^3/min and the slick's radius increases at a rate of 4m/min. The question asks if the thickness of the oil slick increases or decreases at the current time and at what speed this happens. The thought process involves using the equation dV/dt=dV/dr * dr/dt, where dr/dt and dV/dt are given and dV/dr is calculated. However, this approach may be incorrect as the thickness of the slick may not be constant and could be changing with time. It is also important to avoid using textspeak in
Dousin12
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

Question: A certain amount of oil on the sea surface can be considered as circular form
and the same thickness throughout its surface. At a certain time, the following are noted
Data: Oil is supplied to the spot at 5m^3/min , the radius is 50 m, the thickness
0.003m and the radius increases (at this time) at 4m/ min.Does the thickness of increase or decrease at the stain at the current time? With what speed does this happen?

My thoughts:
dV/dt=dV/dr * dr/dt , where dr/dt is given and dV/dt is given. However dV/dr I am unsure, coz maybe u should do dV/dh? However. If u use dV/dr, i get that that is equal to (pi*r^2*h)'=2*pi*r*h , and given the data for r, u solve the equation for h? The h i get i take minus the h i had before and that must be the change, however, I get the wrong answer. Where is my thought process wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dousin12 said:
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

Question: A certain amount of oil on the sea surface can be considered as circular form
and the same thickness throughout its surface. At a certain time, the following are noted
Data: Oil is supplied to the spot at 5m^3/min , the radius is 50 m, the thickness
0.003m and the radius increases (at this time) at 4m/ min.Does the thickness of increase or decrease at the stain at the current time? With what speed does this happen?

My thoughts:
dV/dt=dV/dr * dr/dt , where dr/dt is given and dV/dt is given. However dV/dr I am unsure, coz maybe u should do dV/dh? However. If u use dV/dr, i get that that is equal to (pi*r^2*h)'=2*pi*r*h , and given the data for r, u solve the equation for h? The h i get i take minus the h i had before and that must be the change, however, I get the wrong answer. Where is my thought process wrong?
You are given that the slick is uniform in thickness, so you are given h.

Also, do not use textspeak such as "coz" and "u" in place of "because" and "you." From the forum rules:
SMS messaging shorthand ("text-message-speak"), such as using "u" for "you", "please" for "please", or "wanna" for "want to" is not acceptable.

Likes MarkFL
I don't think we are supposed to interpret that thickness as constant . The incoming oil is causing the slick to spread at the given rate . The thickness may be getting larger or smaller with time depending on the numbers .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
I don't think we are supposed to interpret that thickness as constant . The incoming oil is causing the slick to spread at the given rate . The thickness may be getting larger or smaller depending on the numbers .
From the problem statement:
A certain amount of oil on the sea surface can be considered as circular form
and the same thickness throughout its surface.

The same thickness throughout it's surface yes but the actual value of that thickness is changing with time .

Nidum said:
The same thickness throughout it's surface yes but the actual value of that thickness is changing with time .
That might make for a more realistic problem, but I doubt very much that this is the assumption for this problem.

Mark44 said:
That might make for a more realistic problem, but I doubt very much that this is the assumption for this problem.

The problem asked "Does the thickness of increase or decrease at the stain at the current time? With what speed does this happen?" I'm not sure what the "at the stain" phrase refers to, but I would assume that somehow the spill magically spreads out instantly to a larger radius at a (possibly new) thickness.

My apologies @Nidum and Ray - I read the problem statement too quickly and misinterpreted what it was saying.

Ray, I believe "at the stain" refers to the entire oil stain. The sentence you quoted is somewhat garbled. I think this is what the author intended:
"Does the thickness of the oil stain increase or decrease at the stain at the current time?"

Mark44 said:
My apologies @Nidum and Ray - I read the problem statement too quickly and misinterpreted what it was saying.

Ray, I believe "at the stain" refers to the entire oil stain. The sentence you quoted is somewhat garbled. I think this is what the author intended:
"Does the thickness of the oil stain increase or decrease at the stain at the current time?"

Yes, that is in line with what I said, more-or-less, in the last part of my second sentence.

1. How does the chain rule apply to the oil slick spreading on the sea?

The chain rule is a mathematical principle that helps us calculate the rate of change of a function composed of two or more functions. In the case of the oil slick spreading on the sea, we can use the chain rule to find the rate at which the oil slick is expanding.

2. What is the formula for using the chain rule in this scenario?

The formula for using the chain rule in this scenario is dA/dt = (dA/dx) * (dx/dt), where dA/dt represents the rate of change of the oil slick's area, dA/dx represents the rate of change of the oil slick's area with respect to its radius, and dx/dt represents the rate of change of the radius of the oil slick.

3. Can you provide an example of using the chain rule to solve a homework question involving the oil slick?

Sure! Let's say the oil slick has a radius of 5 meters and is spreading at a rate of 2 meters per hour. We can use the formula dA/dt = (dA/dx) * (dx/dt) to find the rate of change of the oil slick's area. First, we calculate dA/dx by taking the derivative of the formula for the area of a circle, which is A = πr^2. This gives us dA/dx = 2πr. Then, we plug in the values we know: dA/dx = 2π(5) = 10π. Finally, we multiply this by the rate of change of the radius, which is 2 meters per hour, giving us a final answer of 20π square meters per hour.

4. What other real-world scenarios can the chain rule be applied to?

The chain rule can be applied to a variety of real-world scenarios, such as calculating the rate at which a population of animals is growing, determining the rate of change of a chemical reaction, or finding the acceleration of a car in motion. Essentially, the chain rule can be used whenever a function is composed of two or more functions.

5. Are there any other mathematical principles that can be used to solve this homework question?

Yes, there are other mathematical principles that can be used to solve this homework question. For example, the product rule and the quotient rule can also be used to find the rate of change of the oil slick's area. Additionally, integration can be used to find the total area covered by the oil slick over a certain period of time.