Homework: Rx=? to get maximum power transfer at point M

The final circuit is simplified to its Thevenin equivalent with Rth=RL and Rx can be found using this method. In summary, the conversation is about finding the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit and using it to solve for Rx. The person agrees with the other's calculations and reasoning, stating that Rth=RL and Rx can be found using this method.
Michael_0039
Homework Statement
Homework: Rx=? to get maximum power transfer at point M
Relevant Equations
nil
Hi,

after calculations I end up in the circuit below¨ (Thevenin equivalent)

Χωρίς τίτλο.png

So now I have to say Rth=RL and I will find Rx ?The initial circuit is this:

1572098766289.png

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael_0039 said:
So now I have to say Rth=RL and I will find Rx ?
If your working is correct, that's how you solve it, yes. I haven't checked your working.

New Doc 2019-10-26 20.18.00_1.jpg

New Doc 2019-10-26 20.18.00_2.jpg

New Doc 2019-10-26 20.18.00_3.jpg

New Doc 2019-10-26 20.18.00_4.jpg

By the way I think this is the way to solve, because we have 2 resistors in parallel:

New Doc 2019-10-26 20.18.00_5.jpg

Edit
I mean this:

Χωρίς τίτλο.png

Last edited:

What is the concept of maximum power transfer?

The concept of maximum power transfer refers to the idea that the maximum amount of power can be transferred from a source to a load when the impedance of the load matches the complex conjugate of the source's impedance. This allows for the most efficient use of energy in a circuit.

How does the concept of maximum power transfer apply to point M?

In the context of homework problems involving point M, the concept of maximum power transfer typically involves finding the value of the unknown resistance Rx that will result in maximum power being transferred to point M. This is usually done by setting the impedance of the load at point M equal to the complex conjugate of the total impedance of the circuit.

What is the formula for determining the value of Rx for maximum power transfer at point M?

The formula for determining the value of Rx in order to achieve maximum power transfer at point M is: Rx = (R1*R2)/(R1+R2), where R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two branches of the circuit connected to point M.

What are the limitations of using maximum power transfer at point M?

One limitation of using maximum power transfer at point M is that it assumes the load at point M is purely resistive. In reality, most loads have some inductance and capacitance, which can affect the value of Rx needed for maximum power transfer. Additionally, the formula for Rx only applies to circuits with two branches connected to point M, so it may not be applicable in more complex circuits.

How is maximum power transfer at point M relevant to real-world applications?

The concept of maximum power transfer at point M is important in various real-world applications, such as designing efficient power transmission lines and optimizing the performance of electronic circuits. It allows engineers to determine the optimal value of resistance for a given load in order to maximize the use of energy and minimize losses.