Understanding Maximum Power in Circuit: Comparing Load and Circuit Approaches

In summary, the difference between maximum power in load and maximum power by load and circuit is that in a load situation, power can be dissipated in two ways - delivered to the load and lost in the source. In a circuit situation, power is only generated by the voltage supply and can be dissipated in two ways - delivered to the load and lost in the source.
Tekneek

Homework Statement

What is the difference between maximum power in load and maximum power by load and circuit?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know max power in load is when Rth (Thevenin) = RL(load). And the equation to find power in load is (Vth^2)/(4*Rth). Not sure how to find max power by load and circuit, is it just P=I*V?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you consider the simple case where there's a voltage supply with some internal resistance and a load resistance:

attachment.php?attachmentid=66654&stc=1&d=1392497874.gif

The only source of power is the voltage supply. But that power can be dissipated in two places.

Can you determine an expression for:
1) the power produced by the voltage supply
2) the power dissipated by ("Delivered to") the load
3) the power lost in the source

Suppose that the source resistance and voltage are both of fixed value. What value of RL will draw the most power from the voltage supply? What value of RL will deliver the most power to the load?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 546
Below

Last edited:
gneill said:
Suppose you consider the simple case where there's a voltage supply with some internal resistance and a load resistance:

attachment.php?attachmentid=66654&stc=1&d=1392497874.gif

The only source of power is the voltage supply. But that power can be dissipated in two places.

Can you determine an expression for:
1) the power produced by the voltage supply
2) the power dissipated by ("Delivered to") the load
3) the power lost in the source

Suppose that the source resistance and voltage are both of fixed value. What value of RL will draw the most power from the voltage supply? What value of RL will deliver the most power to the load?

1) P=I*(Rs+RL)
2) P=I*RL
3) P=I*Rs

Since P=V^2/R, The lower the RL the higher the power from the voltage supply
Rs=RL will deliver the most power to the load.

Tekneek said:
1) P=I*(Rs+RL)
2) P=I*RL
3) P=I*Rs
You'd need to square the current in those expressions. ##P = I^2 R## ; ##P = V^2 / R## ; ##P = I V## .

You might want to write them in terms of the given fixed values V and Rs.

Since P=V^2/R, The lower the RL the higher the power from the voltage supply
Rs=RL will deliver the most power to the load.

So, if the load RL heads toward zero the power in the (overall) circuit gets larger. Will this be larger or smaller than the maximum power deliverable to the load?

Last edited:
gneill said:
You'd need to square the current in those expressions. ##P = I^2 R## ; ##P = V^2 / R## ; ##P = I V## .

Write might want to them in terms of the given fixed values V and Rs.

So, if the load RL heads toward zero the power in the (overall) circuit gets larger. Will this be larger or smaller than the maximum power deliverable to the load?

Yeah forgot to square the current.
The power should be larger than the maximum power deliverable to the load.

Tekneek said:
Yeah forgot to square the current.
The power should be larger than the maximum power deliverable to the load.

Right. So in general, when there are unavoidable losses (such as the resistance associated with a power supply), the total power in a circuit will be larger than that delivered to the load. That's in a DC circuit.

When you start looking at AC circuits, you'll find that there are other ways that power delivered to a load can differ from the power generated by the power supply.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much for your help! :)

1. What is maximum power in a circuit?

Maximum power in a circuit refers to the highest amount of power that can be delivered to a load by a given source. It occurs when the load resistance matches the source resistance, resulting in maximum efficiency.

2. How is maximum power calculated in a circuit?

The maximum power in a circuit can be calculated by using the equation P = V^2/R, where P is power, V is voltage, and R is resistance. This formula is known as the power transfer theorem.

3. Why is maximum power important in circuit design?

Maximum power is important in circuit design because it allows for efficient use of resources. By matching the load resistance to the source resistance, the circuit can operate at its highest efficiency, resulting in less wasted energy and higher performance.

4. What happens if a circuit operates at less than maximum power?

If a circuit operates at less than maximum power, it means that it is not operating at its most efficient level. This can result in wasted energy, decreased performance, and potential overheating of components.

5. How can maximum power be increased in a circuit?

Maximum power can be increased in a circuit by adjusting the load resistance to match the source resistance. This can be done by using a variable resistor or by using a transformer to change the source resistance. Additionally, using higher voltage sources can also increase maximum power in a circuit.