Homogeneous Diff. Eqn Finding Solution

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homogeneous
In summary: I suggest writing it like this,##(2xvx+3v^2x^2)dx-(2xvx+x^2)(dvx+vdx)=0##In summary, the equations are homogeneous and have two solutions, one by using the first method and another by replacing y with vx.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

##(2xy+3y^2)dx-(2xy+x^2)dy=0##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a homogeneous equation since
we can write,
##M(x,y)=(2xy+3y^2)## and ##M(tx,ty)=t^2M(x,y)## and ##N(x,y)=(2xy+x^2)## and ##N(tx,ty)=t^2N(x,y)##
since orders of t are same they are homogeneous.

Now I can say that ##\frac {dy} {dx}=g(\frac {y} {x})##

where ##v=\frac {y} {x}##.
Now I think there is kind of 2 ways to solve the equation. First way is just put the y=vx in the main equation and try to solve it like that and later by doing separation we can get the result. But I couldn't find a solution
Here it comes,

##(2xvx+3v^2x^2)dx-(2xvx+x^2)(dvx+vdx)=0##
let's gather the terms with dx and dv and separate them,
##(v^2x^2+2x^2v-x^2v)dx-(2x^3v+x^3)dv=0## which later on I don't know what to do. I know that I should separate them but it seems confusing.

Other way is to write in the from of ##\frac {dy} {dx}=\frac {(2xy+3y^2)} {(2xy+x^2)}##

so ##v+\frac {dv} {dx}x=\frac {(2xy+3y^2)} {(2xy+x^2)}##
but then I couldn't separate them so that we can get ##\frac {y} {x}## in the right side.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest replacing ##y## by ##vx## on the rhs of your last expression.

Likes Arman777
Orodruin said:
I suggest replacing ##y## by ##vx## on the rhs of your last expression.
Yes I just now realized that, then I can cancel ##x^2##.

Yes I find it, thanks.

Arman777 said:
so ##v+\frac {dv} {dx}x=\frac {(2xy+3y^2)} {(2xy+x^2)}##
After your substitution v = y/x (or equivalently y = vx), you shouldn't end up with x, y, and v. The whole reason for this substitution is to get to a separable equation in x and v, and then later undo the substitution.

Likes Arman777
Mark44 said:
After your substitution v = y/x (or equivalently y = vx), you shouldn't end up with x, y, and v. The whole reason for this substitution is to get to a separable equation in x and v, and then later undo the substitution.
I see your point, yes you are right. Our teacher used the first method for examples and in the book it was using different method (second one) so at first it made me confused.

It was stupid for me to change left side with y=vx but not the right side.

What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation in which all of the terms can be expressed as a function of the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that there are no constant terms or terms that are not dependent on the variable.

How do you find the solution to a homogeneous differential equation?

To find the solution to a homogeneous differential equation, you need to first rearrange the equation so that all terms are on one side and the other side is equal to zero. Then, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients to solve for the dependent variable.

What is the role of initial conditions in solving a homogeneous differential equation?

Initial conditions are necessary in solving a homogeneous differential equation because they provide specific values for the dependent variable and its derivatives at a given point. These values are used to determine the constants in the solution and provide a unique solution to the differential equation.

What are the different types of solutions to a homogeneous differential equation?

The solutions to a homogeneous differential equation can be classified as either explicit or implicit. Explicit solutions are in the form of a function that directly relates the dependent variable to the independent variable, while implicit solutions are in the form of an equation that relates the dependent variable to the independent variable.

Why are homogeneous differential equations important in science?

Homogeneous differential equations are important in science because they can be used to model various physical phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics. They also have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. By understanding how to solve these equations, scientists can make accurate predictions and better understand the natural world.